Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 367 guests, and 17 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
    C
    C
    Originally Posted by Dazed&Confuzed
    OK in my world, FREE choice means you have FREEDOM to choose what you want to do! Now if she's using free time to have kids work on social skills and his reading would interfere with that, it should be called Social Skills time and not Free time.

Well technically, she does not allow any reading at school. Seriously. They are only permitted to read the easy readers that she hands out during reading time. They keep the same book until they have read it aloud to a classmate 10 times. Then she assigns them a new one. That is 10 minutes 3x a week. The rest of the time, no reading allowed. Demonstrating that you can read in kindergarten is showing off and makes the other children feel bad. We must all assimilate... or something like that.

And yes, we are moving to a new school next year. Or homeschooling if we don't get in. We're #1 on the wait list.

Mia Offline
    CAMom, I so have my fingers crossed that you get a spot! We were in the same position last year -- awful school and first on the wait list for the Glorious Better School. It was agony waiting, but that spot came through ... I am so hopeful that happens for your little guy. Homeschooling might be an adventure, though! grin

Mia
    L
    L
    CAMom -

All I can say is Wow! That is a bad teacher. Why doesn't anyone ever say, not allowing him to read what he wants makes HIM feel bad. My dd used to come home from school in tears in first grade because the teacher wouldn't let her read the books she wanted to read.

B
    BeckyC Offline OP
    OP Offline
    B
    Originally Posted by lanfan
    CAMom -

All I can say is Wow! That is a bad teacher. Why doesn't anyone ever say, not allowing him to read what he wants makes HIM feel bad. My dd used to come home from school in tears in first grade because the teacher wouldn't let her read the books she wanted to read.

My DD had a meltdown looking at the books with my DH at the book fair because the teacher told them a certain bookshelf was "Only for the older kids and they were not allowed to look at those books..."

T
    T
    Hi CAmom,
    I will be doing the same thing come Sept when we put DS in public, assuming he is not learning anyting.
    We can't sit by and let their brains be wasted either.
    I don't think there is any harm in doing some appropriate work after school. We banned video games completely during the week, we even got rid of the WII. The computer is better I think, will still let him have the NintendoDS but only on weekends. I hate that thing then he wants it all day.

in my sons school they make him do the stupid spell things and math triangles.....

it's tourture- but it only takes minutes.... i remind him how lucky he is that his homework is so easy for him and lement about how hard mine was for me.... how i had to walk to school through giant snow drifts up-hill.......... both ways..... wink

I do have my kids do all their homework. I think it's important for me to support the value of practice. Maybe DS doesn't need practice doing subtraction problems, but he does need practice writing his numbers frontwards, neatly, etc. So he is getting something out of it, and he is getting the message that there is benefit whenever he is putting forth effort of some kind. I don't want to get into a situation where he gets out of doing things just because he says they are "boring".

I make DS6 do his homework, but all those notes about "all students should be reviewing their spelling words...math facts..etc at home" are ignored. Of course, for my DS, it seems that homework is all the school work he does, so I suppose it isn't so bad.

Contrary to the horrible teacher CAMom was dealing with, our horrible teacher lets DS6 sit around and read whatever all day.

For me, GT means Georgia Tech.
    After working with many gifties in my profession who opt-out of many assignments and end up either fired or given boring work, I ensure that my daughter understands completing assignments. This is just habit for her now. Life is like this.

A
    A
    I also make sure that my children complete assignments. I am having a hard time figuring out a system for time management that puts the responsibility on them, so for now, I have to keep up with the schedule myself.

I wonder if any of you have any time management ideas for 6 and 7 year olds.

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM