Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 460 guests, and 18 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
    B
    BeckyC Offline OP
    OP Offline
    B
    Originally Posted by Kriston
    DS7 (then age 6) came home from 1st grade every day with a book he was supposed to read. They were stuff he could have read 3 years earlier, and not even good, fun ones. frown I asked for better choices, but was rebuffed by the teacher...and not gently!

Sad! frown

We had the same situation this year. I asked and asked for different books. Finally, at report card time I wrote a letter to the teacher requesting more challenging books. It was a formal letter - as I'm a business person -- not a schmaltzy-touchy-feely type of person. Well after a few weeks we were invited to a meeting to "discuss." Oh good lord, the meeting included not only the reading resource teacher and the 1st grade teacher, but the guidance counselor AND the principal!!! They thought I was all mad because I sent a letter that was straight to the point, and not touchy-feely.

The good thing is that at least the reading resource teacher acknowledge that DD6 hit the ceiling of the reading test (grade 4). But they will keep her and 2nd grade level books so she can develop a "deeper understanding" of these books ---

Well at least one grade level ahead is something smile --- I'll keep fighting smile

B
    B
    I sometimes have trouble figuring out my son's homework and have to bite my tongue when he says it's "stupid"-- because it is.

Originally Posted by Dottie
    What they say:
    But we will keep her in books limited to +1 grade level books so she can develop a "deeper understanding" of these books.

What they mean:
    The classroom range will be contained, one way or another.

Argh! Sad, but so true!

Kriston
    F
    F
    At first, we stopped ds7 from saying the homework is "stupid". After a while, I am saying the same word about his homework. Not a very good example to set, but I had a worksheet came home from school last week about odd and even numbers, when ds is already doing multiplication, division and beginning algebra.

Cindi
    Originally Posted by BeckyC
    They thought I was all mad because I sent a letter that was straight to the point, and not touchy-feely.

Arg, hate that!

Originally Posted by Dottie
    What they mean:
    The classroom range will be contained, one way or another.

Why, why, why??

T
    T
    Originally Posted by fangcyn
    I had a worksheet came home from school last week about odd and even numbers.

And I bet it was even single digit numbers

C
    C
    The short answer- YES. I make him do all his homework wink

The long answer is that his teacher doesn't believe in homework... or reading in school... or teaching to his level or... I could go on. (In an unrelated story, she took a book away from him during free choice because there is no reading allowed during free time) So I give him homework every Monday. When the packet is done, he can play video games on a school night. If it's not done, no video games! No discussion from me, it's just on the table Monday when he gets home from school. Some weeks he does it willingly, some weeks he does one a day, some weeks he grumbles on Thursday about missing his Wii and does it all before dinner.

Each packet has 4-5 parts- usually a math worksheet at his level or a math game, a writing worksheet (starting this week- a writing prompt), some sort of craft activity to improve his fine motor skill and a science experiment or website to check out.

I'm probably a really mean mom...

Or a really conscientious one who loves her son! laugh

Kriston
    J
    J
    (In an unrelated story, she took a book away from him during free choice because there is no reading allowed during free time)

I don't know how to do the fancy little box to put this quote in... but can I just say that I blew Diet Mountain Dew out of my nose when I read this line? ROFL!

OK in my world, FREE choice means you have FREEDOM to choose what you want to do! Now if she's using free time to have kids work on social skills and his reading would interfere with that, it should be called Social Skills time and not Free time.

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM