Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 289 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
    And on the review end, that's another pet peeve of mine... You're right - there is a huge amount of review available, but you have to choose what you're doing and figure out when. It doesn't magically appear at regular intervals. Our method was to run the word problems a semester or a year behind the textbook and workbook, so when the topics came around a second time it was "kicked up a notch". That was perfect for us, but I could easily see another kid needing more or less.

Erica
    Z
    Z
    Originally Posted by KAR1200
    Our method was to run the word problems a semester or a year behind the textbook and workbook, so when the topics came around a second time it was "kicked up a notch".

Ha! We do the same thing: use the Intensive Practice books a semester behind the text/wkbk so the topics are staggered. I agree that it's not like your typical American curriculum style review. I liked it "kicked up a notch" too. smile

I know nothing about Everyday Math but I love Singapore Math. I find it to be a nice strong math curriculum and I am picky as far as math goes. Their Challenging Word Problems are beyond awesome and make DS6 really think.

This has nothing to do with EM or SM but I have a math kid who doesn't really care for manipulatives. You can pretty much throw the workbook at him and he will be happy to figure it out all by himself. Hint here or there is all I do. Just wanted to mention that some kids thrive with a little bit of intentional math neglect wink

LMom
    Z
    Z
    Originally Posted by LMom
    Just wanted to mention that some kids thrive with a little bit of intentional math neglect wink

Good point seeing as how this is one of the few places we can admit those kinds of kids really do exist.

smile

zaichiki: the issues are the same as what others mentioned. SM is great for handing to *some* kids and letting them have at it. A friend does this w/ no instruction from her but her DS who is gifted in math, thinks the SM way before he even started SM.

ANd yes, people complain SM doesn't have enough review built it but that's what the IP,EP,CWP books are for. For the ones I've seen, it appears it's that the curriculum wasn't used as intended and that's why it failed. It's not a failure of the curriculum. I LOVE SM and have a lot invested in the books, CWP etc.

Rightstart Math is what I use as my spine and supplement w/ SM and it's identical to SM conceptually although the scope and sequence is a bit different. But over and over people will post how it's just not working, DC is not retaining, DC can't do mental math and someone will ask, "Are you playing the games?" The response, "Well, uh, no, we never seem to get around to them." Or you get "There isn't enough review in RS." That's where the games come in. And yes, my son hit a wall w/ multiplication b/c we weren't playing the games enough lol but until this point (RS D) he's never needed the games.

The comment I read often is that SM is soooo cheap and RS is sooo expensive. Then you read about the problems. Well, by the time you add in the HIGs, CWP, EP etc the price is only about $10 cheaper than RS.

The great thing about SM having the parts, if your kid doesn't need it, don't buy the EP. If kid needs some review but a bit more challenge, get the IP etc. It is easy to taylor but I also think as one poster put it on WTM, SM is deceptively simple.

M
    M
    Could you tell me about the CD-ROM games that you have for SM? We use SM and ALEKS quicktables with my younger kids and SM and ALEKS for my older DD but haven't heard of a computer component.

We love SM, US Standard edition. We use as much of the manipulatives as each child needs. One gets it a lot faster, the other needs the manipulatives more than the other. That is the joy of the program, it is very easy to adjust for each child while covering the same material.

EPGY OE Volunteer Group Leader
    Q
    Q
    This has been a very interesting discussion for me. And I have to say yes, and yes, but... Yes, in that the teacher makes the difference. I bought SM for DS's teacher to use with him for HSing - but it turns out that she only used them as ready made problem sets. No Singapore method. That definitely did not work.

We switched over to Aleks, but I wanted to use SM for the problem-solving strategies. I bought the books (the Standard Edition, b/c I wanted the extra content and the more colorful textbooks), but there aren't any home instructor guides available for his level. I just checked on the website and I see how helpful they'd be. Bad timing.

And teacher guides are exactly what I need to teach everything. Otherwise, we're just reading through everything together and he's doing the problems. That's partly why I was asking about K12 on another thread.

Zaichiki: yes, for homeschooling, I like SM. (Just to clarify, I was answering Ren's original question, which related to school, not home use.)

Is EM even available for home use? I'm sure you could buy it somewhere on the Internet, but I've never heard of anyone using EM for homeschooling.

Like others, I also highly recommend the SM home instructor's guide and the "Intensive Practice" workbooks. IMHO, I liked "IP" more than "Challenging Word Problems" because it has more than just word problems, and they really are challenging. Even my engineer DH had to think about some of the problems! The arithmetic in them isn't hard, but the thinking is!

As for the instructor's guide...Despite being an English major, I am not math phobic--I took calculus both in high school and college and I always got good grades in math. But there's a big difference between getting a grade and really understanding the math well enough to teach it. The guide helped me with really understanding. Not to mention the fact that it was nice to have the games and stuff in the guide for hands-on work, since I would never have come up with that stuff on my own. Having the instructor's guide was REALLY useful to me.

My biggest complaint about SM was actually that it was not good with an asynchronous math kid. He needed more concepts, less calculation, less repetition. (And SM is WAY better about this than most math programs, but it just showed me that sometimes a program--even a good one!--isn't going to work for some kids.)

I suspect if we went back to SM, it would be better now because his multiplication skills have caught up. But there for a while last year, it was not working well. I didn't love the fact that there was a section on multiplying 2-digit numbers, then one about multiplying 3-digit numbers in the next workbook, *then* one about multiplying 4-digit numbers in the *next* workbook. Those are not conceptually different, so it was a pretty dull stretch of math, especially for a 6yo boy who thoroughly understood the concept of how to multiply multiple digits after the first exposure to it, but for whom the actual work of multiplying was REALLY slow!

That was when we dropped SM and went on to geometry. There he could work on some new concepts without all the arithmetic. It was a much better fit!

He has since caught up on the arithmetic just through regular use on higher concept math. Adding and subtracting fractions has really helped, with all the factoring involved to find denominators. And it's challenging enough that he wants to do the work. More than once I have told him he'd done enough for the day, but he wanted to keep going! smile

That's a long way of saying that sometimes even the "best" curriculum for GT kids isn't going to work well for some kids.

Kriston
    M
    M
    Kriston, I'd be very interested in hearing what you did/are doing with geometry, if you have time, please.

Thanks!
    minnie

Z
    Z
    http://school.discoveryeducation.com/parents/reviewcorner/software/activeprmathrainbow.html

http://www.singaporemath.com/CD_ROM_Rainbow_Rock_Grades_1_2_p/cd1.htm

http://www.singaporemath.com/CD_ROM_Vroot_Vroom_Grades_3_4_p/cd2.htm

We use Rainbow Rock for dd (currently in Primary Math 2A) and Vroot and Vroom for ds (finishing up level 4B). I have Wiggle Woods on the shelf. The kids sometimes play the games together, too. Check out the review on the discovery education website I linked above.

http://www.singaporemath.com/CD_ROM_Wiggle_Woods_Grades_5_6_p/cd3.htm

Last edited by zaichiki; 03/02/09 12:06 PM. Reason: corrected link
    Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM