Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 332 guests, and 18 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #3549 09/22/07 01:10 PM
    OP Offline
    DD is very interested in classic literature, poetry and plays. Of course she asks me often about the metaphors, language etc. and while I'd love to help her it's been too many years since my days of Shakespeare. Any recommendations on books that would expose a child this age to various literature with discussion on the meaning, the author etc.? Our trip to the library didn't turn out much, since I really didn't know what I was looking for. Thanks

Jeni

C
    cym Offline
    C
    Hi Jeni,

How old is DD? For young kids mine have liked the Shel Silverstein books of poems (humorous). More classical poetry, depending on how sophisticated she is, in collections. I love the sampling the "What Your __th Grader Should Know" (Core Knowledge Curriculum books) and they probably list extension references if she likes a certain writer. I've had a hard time finding plays--either they're really basic and silly or complex (Ibsen, Sartre, Albee, etc.). I know there are several kids books on Shakespeare but I'm not familiar with them.

As far as classical literature, maybe Jane Austen, or 3 Musketeers, or Count of Monte Cristo, or Huck Finn, Treasure Island, Robinson Crusoe, Oliver Twist, John Steinbeck books...watch out there are some racey topics addressed in some, Catcher in the Rye (depends on how mature you approve).

That's just a few suggestions. I'm anxious to see what others write.

OP Offline
    DD is 8 and currently in 4th grade. Last year she read at a 6th grade level, not sure where she is currently. She has a good taste in books, I just wish I could explain the complexities and metaphors to her better. Thanks for your great suggestions.

Jeni

D
    D
    Jeni,
    For poetry, I would suggest Emily Dickinson, Robert Frost and Eagar Allan Poe (seasonal). A novel by Nathaniel Hawthorne could be a good start point. Maybe your daughter could read a junior biography for each author to help understand their perspective before reading their work.

Also, the Prince and the Pauper by Twain is a lot of fun!

C
    C
    Hi,

My daughter is the same age and grade as your daughter. Last spring she was in a production of A Midsummer Night's Dream. I wanted to read it with her so she would understand what it was all about. I found a series called "No Fear Shakespeare" which has the complete original text on the left page, with a modern text on the right page. It was very easy to understand, and we still were able to read the original play. She loved it and has gone on to read more Shakespeare since.

OP Offline
    Thank you delbows and cransaer for great suggestions. DD brought home the Scholastic book club flyer and I was happy to find poetry collections. I ordered Emily Dickinson, Walt Whitman and one by mutliple authors. They also had a collection of greek mythology, which I know she will enjoy.

I will try to find the No Fear Shakespeare series, sounds like that would be great as well.

Jeni

You might also consider getting "regular" classics and using Cliff's Notes. They get a bad rap because so many college students read them instead of actually reading the book--not recommended! But as a companion for self-guided study, they can be pretty useful.

You might also try H.D. for poetry. She has some interesting feminist revisions of Greek classics that would be pretty accessible for younger readers, I think. Especially if read in tandem with the Greek classics, it could lead to some interesting discussions.

Other favorites of mine that might be appropriate for children: Gwendolyn Brooks, Christina Rossetti, any of the romantic poets (Keats, Shelley, etc.), Shakespeare's sonnets, some Ezra Pound...You might consider finding a poetry textbook or anthology and just seeing what strikes your child's fancy.

Best wishes!

Kriston
    R
    R
    In the UK there is a brilliant series of Shakespeare 'comics' which is a great introduction. Alongside the old english there comes a modern day English translation. they cost about �7 each
    Here is the link:

www.shakespearecomics.com

I'm sure they'll mail to the US.

You can also get a set of DVDs called 'Shakespeare: The Animated Tales" which are a brilliant introduction, keeping all the language and main speeches.. I've seen them on amazon.com for $70, which is a lot. It costs about �17 over here (around $35). Now that doesn't happen very often.

OP Offline
    Thank you so much for the suggestions. She is currently reading a poetry collection by Edgar Allan Poe, she thinks is perfect for Halloween. It's funny, for a girl who doesn't like scary movies, she loves mystery and scary books. Maybe it's different in writing. We have had some great discussions regarding his poems. She is also starting a greek mythology series, which I looked over and it seems good for her reading level.

At the risk of my being annoying...

If your DD likes the Greek mythology, the H.D. could be an interesting companion piece on modern poetry. She writes a number of her poems from the point of view of the women in the stories. (Penelope, Eurydice, etc.) It's a good exercise in point of view and how perspective can radically change a story.

Plus her writing is really incredible.

Sorry! when I saw the mythology mentioned, I just had to pipe up again. Shutting up now... wink

Kriston

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM