Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 136 guests, and 12 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
    Originally Posted by hkc75
    Today at the table he said about his little sister having a meltdown, "I remember feeling overwhelmed a few months ago. It felt like a giant volcano building inside me and all of a sudden it would blow. I couldn't stop it. Now I know I need to let out the steam once in a while to keep it from blowing." Talk about insight....

Wow - that's great! I might have to use your DS's meltdown advice on my DS. Yes, i do try to aknowledge that he's feeling disappointed or sad or whatever, but that wasn't working today. smile

H
    H
    Oh I didn't mean you personally SPG! Sometimes the "lava flow" is just too great here too and I can't say anything that doesn't make it worse. Now that I know he can relate his feelings to a volcano I will be using it as a barometer when I see him getting worked up and hopefully start heading off the meltdowns. Will need to brush up on my volcano jargon as he knows way about this topic than me.

We have found the key to meltdowns is to find out what caused it. In the beginning this was really hard, because it's hard to explain things in the middle of a "hissy fit". But we've gotten better at translating between sobs.... As soon as I rectify the problem or explain why it can't be fixed, DS seems ok with that.

He is something of a control freak and situations that are out of his control are the hardest for him, generally causing the biggest blow.

Shari
    Mom to DS 10, DS 11, DS 13
    Ability doesn't make us, Choices do!
    Originally Posted by hkc75
    Oh I didn't mean you personally SPG! Sometimes the "lava flow" is just too great here too and I can't say anything that doesn't make it worse. Now that I know he can relate his feelings to a volcano I will be using it as a barometer when I see him getting worked up and hopefully start heading off the meltdowns. Will need to brush up on my volcano jargon as he knows way about this topic than me.

It is the Volcano Explosivity index (VEI ).

Check it out.

http://www.sizes.com/units/volcanic_explosivity_index.htm

You could do a spoof on it with tantrums!!

M
    M
    I tried something from one of the books recommended on this site...it worked great to tame some of the tantrums...

Make 2 lines marked 1 thru 10.

On one line, label ways to handle anger/disappointment from quiet sadness (#1), to full blown tantrums at the 10 mark.

On the other line, label some common life problems from something like brother takes your toy(#1) to losing your home/someone you love (#10).

Now, discuss with the child some of their recent problems and where they fall on the problem line. Most will come out as a 1 or 2 level problem. Now, show the child their reactions on the second line. Most will come out a 9 or 10.

My son was shocked when he saw his emotions were so out of whack with his responses. Now, when the emotions start to flow, I ask him to rate his problem, and he automatically starts thinking about the level of reaction he should have. It sounds kind of crazy, but it's been working.

Can't remember what book it was in or I would give the author credit.

B
    B
    I have to agree with the raising little lawyers comment.....my DS6 could talk his way out of anything. The other day he was running around the house and we had some music on in the background...he banged into a chair and started bumping it around and banged it into the wall. My husband said to stop banging the chair into the wall. My son's response was that the chair was dancing. My husband responded that chairs don't dance into walls and son's response so matter-of-factly was "duh daddy, this chair obviously doesn't have any eyes, so it can't see the wall." I mean how can you argue with that?

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM