Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 391 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    What if DS could throw a baseball 100 yards or score at will in soccer? And loved the game?

What would you do then?

Not take him to camps where he could be with other top junior players and not move into a school district or area where he could advance his skill?

What if DS was a great artist or dancer? He'd be in classes with older kids.

I suppose you could have one night a week where DS makes dinner. If he is like most kids, he loves macaroni and cheese and its easy to fix as well. That could be his macaroni art!!!

Originally Posted by BWBShari
    After spending most of my day furious, it occurred to me that i'm going about this all wrong. Forget the emotion and get to the facts. I printed several articles (thanks, pauli) wrote down some websites and when she comes home I'm going to help her begin her education! We've got 5 weeks until his scheduled IEP, so that's my time frame. Cross your fingers!!!

Good luck!!

Last edited by Austin; 02/24/09 06:40 PM.
    OP Offline
    Austin,

It would take you about 12 hrs to drive to my house. Care to come and lend your views?? ROFL!!!

Shari
    Mom to DS 10, DS 11, DS 13
    Ability doesn't make us, Choices do!
    G
    G
    I was like that. DH wanted to accelerate DS6 when he was in preschool and I thought he was crazy. I am now on board and have accepted DS's intellectual differences. On the other hand, DH thought public school would be fine. He now accepts DS6's emotional differences. He is now on board. It's been quite a journey for us thus far!

One thing that you could do is have your partner work with your child, academically. You could have her do some workbooks for her own age group. When she sees how your child responds, doesn't pay attention, gets an attitude or whatever it is that he does, it might be easier to connect the dots to how doing age-level work would play out in the classroom. Just a thought.

Originally Posted by BWBShari
    It took me forever to come to a decision regarding skipping 3 grades next year.
    I find this so confusing - isn't he just going to be proceding normally into the next years class with the same kids he is in subject acceleration with now? Sometimes it really matters how you word things. I really think that the acceleration has already occured, and next year 'just' legitimises it - yes?

Which of course is scary, but not as scary as a 1st grader finishing first in the spring, and returning to 5th in the fall, yes?

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    OP Offline
    An update....

Miracle of miracles! DP is now on board. Wasn't anything I said or had her read. It was DS. Our schools are going through SBA testing this week, so DS is playing hookey. He can't go to any of his pullouts and spending the whole day in K is worthless so I told him he can stay home.

Yesterday he went to the office with DP and they had a conversation. DS asked DP how much longer he needs to go to school. He told her that although he likes everyone, he hasn't learned anything new and can't see the point of continuing. He told her he learns more at home and wants to stay home except for Algebra (actually pre-algebra). He doesn't understand that you can't go to school for one class.

DP called me and told me what he'd said and said she's on board with whatever kind of skipping/accelerating we need to do. Just like that! I wish they'd have had this conversation a month ago! So now the school and DP are on board, we just have to sell it to the district. They've never done a multi-grade skip and no one at the school is sure how the idea is going to be received. Keep your fingers crossed!

Shari
    J
    J
    What good news Shari!!!

S
    S
    Yay! How funny how quickly our little ones comments can change things. You should have coached him and put him to work sooner, LOL. Save yourself all the stress.

OP Offline
    If only he had advocated for himself sooner! It would have saved me alot of headaches. I'll have to keep that tactic in mind for the future.

Shari
    Ahh Shari,
    I'm so glad to hear it. I also noticed that my DS was willing to 'share' that side of himself with me sooner than with DH, but when he finally did, DH really came around to my way of seeing things.

You've probably been laying the foundation for this moment for months...Well Done!
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Good. smile

Kriston
    Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by indigo - 04/30/24 12:27 AM