Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 381 guests, and 30 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    I
    I
    A very encouraging update and good job getting all this set up ahead of time!

Originally Posted by spg
    They also mentioned that we could choose to do half-days and just send DS for the non-academic stuff.
    This will be nice to have in your back pocket if you need it.

Originally Posted by spg
    Another thing that i'm thinking in the back of my mind is that if we get through kindy ok (if he can get good and socialized), maybe DS can skip over to the 2-6 grade school for the next year where there are more opportunities for joining classes at his level.

Sounds like a smart plan.

Originally Posted by mizzoumommy
    Oh and someone told me once that DD5 didn't "go underground" as I thought, but rather she regressed to where she should be because her home environment had been highly stimulating all the years before she went to school. Emphatically, no! The only change was that she was surrounded by ND age peers and teachers who only expected the bare minimum - if that! for long periods of time, and she learned that she was different and "adjusted" to fit in, and even then she still spent 90% of her time in solitary endeavors. The other 10% was during circle time when she was required to sit in a group with the other kids but not actually interact with them - now that I think about it does *that* count as socializing? - and outside play. Regarding outside play, this usually entailed a few games of tag, but even then the teachers said she did her own thing for the most part, unless one counts the fact that she let herself be bullied "so the other kids would play with her". Double Bleh!

P.S. I am not anti-school or preschool in any way. I was severely disappointed in how it turned out for DD though, especially, since this was supposed to be one of the best schools in the area. I think if the right fit is found any school can be great! I hope it works out well for any one going that route.

We had the same kind of experience, and it's why I always sneer inwardly (silently!) when anyone asks me about "socialization" and homeschooling.

DS7 was developing bad social habits at school because he thought he was smarter/better than everyone because he was never challenged. He had really no friends left in 1st grade (though he had had lots of friends when he was more challenged in pre-K and K) because he bossed everyone around in class as a way of keeping his brain occupied. He missed recess nearly every day because of his acting out. He was angry and sad and lonely.

And this is better than homeschooling--even if he stayed home alone with me all day (which he doesn't)--because...??? This is positive socialization? Ugh!

Public school is pretty much always my first choice for kids. But sometimes our first choices don't work out. One size really does not fit all!

Honestly, I wish schools would get it that sometimes they have cause and effect backwards when it comes to behavior! I wish people in general understood that sometimes--not always--putting a GT kid with older kids is a plus in the socialization column!

<End rant>

Kriston
    M
    M
    Originally Posted by inky
    A very encouraging update and good job getting all this set up ahead of time!

Originally Posted by spg
    They also mentioned that we could choose to do half-days and just send DS for the non-academic stuff.
    This will be nice to have in your back pocket if you need it.

Originally Posted by spg
    Another thing that i'm thinking in the back of my mind is that if we get through kindy ok (if he can get good and socialized), maybe DS can skip over to the 2-6 grade school for the next year where there are more opportunities for joining classes at his level.

Sounds like a smart plan.

I agree with everything inky wrote and apologize for blathering on about my DD in a previous post. I went on a tangent and never quite got back on track. I always wonder about "socialization", even in a play-based setting. Questions like: will the child go underground to fit in, etc? flitter through my mind.

I have to keep reminding myself, it isn't that the cup is half full or half empty. I need to be grateful that the cup *exists*!

OP Offline
    No need to apologize! That is why I posted - to share and to hear about the experiences of everyone here and to commiserate. What you wrote is what I'm worried about too.

OP Offline
    Originally Posted by Kriston
    Honestly, I wish schools would get it that sometimes they have cause and effect backwards when it comes to behavior! I wish people in general understood that sometimes--not always--putting a GT kid with older kids is a plus in the socialization column!

I wish that too. I try to remind myself that I knew nothing about anything GT-related until my crash course in the realm of HG, and that most teachers/prinicipals are trained to deal with the majorities, not the fringes. But since I do now know some of this stuff (like the behavior problems can be due to the lack of intellectual peers), it sort of felt like we were speaking to people from a different planet (ok, maybe just a different country) when they were telling us things about the importance of socialization to fix those "behavior problems."

I
    I
    I went on a tangent and never quite got back on track.
    I learn a lot from the tangents here and appreciate the windy path we take up the mountain. wink

OP Offline
    Originally Posted by inky
    I went on a tangent and never quite got back on track.
    I learn a lot from the tangents here and appreciate the windy path we take up the mountain. wink

Here here! Nicely put.

Inky - I forgot to say thanks for the encouragement in your earlier post. I am split about whether the meeting was more positive or negative, but I do so like to "always look at the bright side of life." (insert monty python whistling here)

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM