Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 196 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    I don't want to say anything out of turn here, but I did read some things about Silverman that gave me "pause". She apparently was let go from her university post and has had an odd number of kids test in the 200 range, which has made some made some people anxious about her methods. Also, there was a New Yorker article about a HG boy who committed suicide, the link to the partial article is:
    http://positivedisintegration.com/newyorker.pdf
    She was the one, according to the article, who tested him and advocated certain decisions for him. I am not in any way implying anything negative, I am just aware of these issues with this doctor's name.

Again, I am just passing along something that I am aware of, not making any judgements since I haven't met her and am not an expert.

S
    S
    Elizabethmom, I think the controversy had something to do with the SB L-M. Somewhere along the way I think I came across an article or something from Silverman addressing this topic. But it was a while ago, so I can't remember the details. If I run across it, I'll post more.

I
    I
    Emotionally, that was a difficult article to read.

It reminded me of this article, especially the case study of Jared: Major Depression and and Ethic of Silence which starts on page 8. He had a profound ability to deceive nearly everyone and blamed himself for not being able to "figure it out."

http://psych.wisc.edu/henriques/papers/Jackson.pdf

Thanks for that article, it looks interesting and sobering.

R
    R
    elizabethmom, thank you for your post. its always a hard decision to share negative information but its really needed for a balanced forum.

T
    Tiz Offline
    T
    elizabethmom and inky thanks for those articles.

A
    A
    In response to the question about whether we had the SB L-M at GDC, we did not. We were scheduled to do so but my daughter vomited the morning we were supposed to test (appears it was a 24-hour bug). We ended up pushing everything back a day and only did the achievement test, which gave us what we needed for the school.

Our tester was not Dr. Silverman but was Bobbie Gilman. We really liked her.

I
    I
    I was reading David Palmer's Parent's Guide to IQ Testing and Gifted Education. This quote caught my attention:
    It is known, for instance, that suicide attempts occur more frequently among young people who excel academically, are highly creative, and attend highly competitive schools.

Uuugh, all sorts of questions from that. Are highly competitive schools a contributing factor or is it just more likely that a highly competitive school would have young people who excel academically and are highly creative?

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM