Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 386 guests, and 12 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #36342 01/27/09 12:05 PM
    Elisa Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Hi guys, I'm looking for some advice. My son 8 is in a gifted pullout program. I'm advocating for subject acceleration -- focusing on math as I see that as the area of greatest need. The latest roadblock that the school has put up is that his processing speed is slow. They base this on the daily timed math tests that he takes. 50 simple addition probs in 2 minutes. So a typical test is 8+2, 8+5, 8+9, etc. Unfortunately, my son has no interest in doing the silly test and rarely finishes it, with his grade getting dinged every time.
    So my question, how do I get around this "proof" that he's "slow"?
    And any suggestions on additional evidence I can provide? He scored in the 98th percentile in last year's standardized test. And he's taking the SCAT in two weeks.
    Thank you!

Elisa #36346 01/27/09 12:50 PM
    I
    I
    Does DS want to do math acceleration? If he's motivated to accelerate, you could let him know his efforts on the timed tests are presenting a problem. He might decide it's worth his while if it's a means to an end.

inky #36349 01/27/09 01:02 PM
    Elisa Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Yes, I have explained the importance of doing well on all tests and every day I ask him how he did on the math test. I hate to put pressure on him, but he is basically oblivious about grades.
    At school they're doing addition and subtraction, at home he's on multiplication and fractions. I wouldn't be asking for acceleration if he didn't want it.

inky #36352 01/27/09 01:12 PM
    My son is the exact same way w/ timed tests. He was fine doing them initially when we first started them in RS D. But afterwhile, he stopped wanting to do them. Now a sheet that would have taken him 5min, he will take 15min to do it!!! I even bribe him but it's almost like once he decided he didn't want to do it, even though he wants to do it now, his brain won't let him lol. Part of it for him is he doesn't like to write. I notice when we're playing games (no writing and no time pressure) he is much quicker with his facts.

Elisa #36354 01/27/09 01:20 PM
    I
    I
    That's good he wants to accelerate. smile

Unfortunately I don't have any other ideas about getting around their "proof" except having your son prove them wrong.

I would be more specific and instead of explaining it in terms of ALL tests, I'd explain why he needs to focus on the timed tests. I wouldn't make a big deal about the grade. Instead I'd say, "I'd like to help you get more challenging math. One of the problems is that you're not putting in enough effort on the timed tests. I can understand your frustration, but if you put more effort into the timed tests, it would help in getting you accelerated in math."

If that won't work hopefully someone else will have a better suggestion for getting around their "proof." My DD's the same way with those kind of tests, so I'm interested in hearing other ideas! Thanks for bringing it up.

inky #36355 01/27/09 01:40 PM
    Isa Offline
    I am interested too because DD does not do well on timed tests, not so much because she does not want, but because she becomes blocked and cannot think anymore.

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by SaturnFan - 05/15/24 04:25 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/15/24 04:14 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent