Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 366 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #36268 01/26/09 06:30 PM
    OP Offline
    My DS is currently listed as a K, but the only time he spends with the class is recess, lunch and the last 15 minutes of the day for show and tell.

We are beginning to work through scheduling for next year and I wonder if there is any point at all in putting him in 1st grade. I suspect that the time spent in the class would be minimal, same as this year. I'm wondering if I should request a skip to 2nd. I don't know if it matters since he doesn't spend any time in his homeroom.

But i'm thinking that if he's in 2nd next year, he'll be able to participate with his class more. Doesn't Social Studies start in 2nd? The 2nd grade also has music class. How do you decide?

Shari
    Mom to DS 10, DS 11, DS 13
    Ability doesn't make us, Choices do!
    BWBShari #36270 01/26/09 06:37 PM
    It sounds to me like he really is already in 1st grade. The only things he's with his agemates for are the social stuff.

Does he get along well with the older grade? If so, I'd say skip him. It would be less confusing for all concerned.

Even if not, I'd still think seriously about it. They might be rejecting him because he's not "really" a 1st grader. If he becomes a full-fledged member of their grade, he might be treated differently.

Plus you could grease the wheels now and over the summer by staging some playdates with the older kids.

<Bursting into song>
    Matchmaker matchmaker, make me a match!

wink

Kriston
    gratified3 #36281 01/26/09 07:32 PM
    I'm betting age-based competitions will already be an issue. If all his academics are in the grade above, he's probably going to be competing at that level for academic contests at least, even if recess and lunch are with his actual agemates.

You might be able to get away with sports at the agemates' level as things stand, but I doubt academic contests will allow it.

Kriston
    Kriston #36289 01/26/09 08:30 PM
    OP Offline
    Kriston,

He competed in the science fair as a 4th grader. The school allowed it because he takes science with a 4th grade class. All of his academics are 4th through 6th grade right now, so i'm not sure how much of a difference 1st vs 2nd makes. The school refers to it as his "homeroom" and he is currently listed in their roles as a K.

I asked him how he felt about starting 2nd next year instead of 1st and he said "Oh, sure that's great". He much prefers the kids in the upper grades. Based on everything i've read on here, at some point I should probably expect some bullying. But for whatever reason, all of the older kids sort of treat him like the class mascot, they're very protective of him. The teachers have reported that the biggest problem that they have with him are the arguments that take place regarding him when they are working in pairs or groups. All of the other kids want to be in his pair etc. He's very social and well aware that he's not like most kids his age, but he's also very diplomatic. (wonder if i'm raising a politician?)

There is also the POV that at some point he's going to need to skip and earlier is better. Is that true?

Shari
    Mom to DS 10, DS 11, DS 13
    Ability doesn't make us, Choices do!
    BWBShari #36290 01/26/09 08:36 PM
    It does give him (and his classmates) more time to adjust.

If he gets along well and there's no reason not to skip, then I guess based on what you've said, I'd say do it. He sounds like a great candidate for a skip.

But I agree with Gratified that you do have to think through the pros and cons, and only you know your child well enough to say for sure. I'm totally talking out of my hat!

Have you looked at the Iowa Acceleration Scale Manual? I suspect he'll come off as a prime candidate, but if you're nervous, it's the gold standard for clarifying the issues you face. You might give it a look.

Kriston

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by indigo - 04/30/24 12:27 AM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM