Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    1 members (1 invisible), 384 guests, and 21 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
    Yes, Kriston I feel the same as you do. I spoke w/ the teachers but never went to the Principal. Based on what others said (including a teacher friend at the school), nothing much was going to change so we got out.

I'm always in awe at what you all have to go through.

Hi Jool,

I am a teacher in a large district in which GT falls under the special ed. umbrella - so our kids are protected by the same laws that protect LD and MR kids. There was a student last year whose mother had her tested, and she came out at the 82nd percentile. Despite that fact, the mom REALLY wanted her placed in a gifted program (one of those parents who wanted to tell her friends that her child is "gifted"), so she threatened litigation if the school chose not to place her. After much discussion, the school decided not to fight it, and the child was placed in a gifted pullout program.

What I'm trying to say it that, even though this child clearly didn't need gifted services, the school chose to go with the wishes of the parent rather than pay expensive legal fees to fight it. Sometimes even the threat is enough - especially considering the state of district budgets these days. Perhaps all it will take is for the school to know you're serious about getting your child's needs met, and that will be enough. At least around here, administrators jump whenever anyone mentions litigation!

p.s. Incidentially, this girl really floundered in the program - was always well behind what the other kids were doing, and her self-esteem plummeted. We talked her mother into pulling her at the end of the year, as even she could see the damage she was doing!

Jool Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Thanks for your input Jen74. From the letters I sent (using language from our state law) and in the meeting, I *implied* that they were breaking the law and that perhaps a third party should decide... To maintain civility, I didn't make a direct threat. That said, the district always has the option of trying to settle these things even after we file for due process.

Just to clarify (you probably know this already Jen, but for others...) - the 88% was a curriculum-based placement assessment to see how much he knows of the current 2nd grade (and some 3rd grade) curriculum. The score is percentage of questions right on the test, not percent*ile* He was near mastery of the curriculum before the mid-point of the year without even being exposed to material at an accelerated rate. He was not allowed to test further than that to see how much he knew of the 3rd grade curriculum.

So... we did our own testing yesterday. We used Texas State assessment (TAKS) because it was free and available online. We gave him the test on his own, without any help. He wasn't allowed to ask us questions about the test and was told to just do his best and guess if he had to. He got 95% on the 3rd grade test and 90% on the 4th grade test. I hope that that info. will at least be looked at to back up our point that he should not have to watch other kids learn 2nd grade math.

Woot!

So... we did our own testing yesterday. We used Texas State assessment (TAKS) because it was free and available online. We gave him the test on his own, without any help. He wasn't allowed to ask us questions about the test and was told to just do his best and guess if he had to. He got 95% on the 3rd grade test and 90% on the 4th grade test. I hope that that info. will at least be looked at to back up our point that he should not have to watch other kids learn 2nd grade math.

I hope so too!

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Mia Offline
    Jool -- agreed! It sounds like your situation isn't quite what ours was, and you've got some time and a good chance at getting something done. Yay! And great numbers on the test; think they'll pay attention, since it's an online assessment?

And thank you for asking -- yes, our ds6 is doing *great* at school this year -- he's at a private gifted school. They do mixed-grade small groups for math and language arts and he's accelerated 2+ years in both. He's sad when school is closed for whatever reason ... they had to write a "Thank you for ____" note for parents before Christmas, and ds wrote, "Dear Mama, Thank you for this school." Awww! laugh

Mia
    Jool Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Originally Posted by Mia
    ds wrote, "Dear Mama, Thank you for this school." Awww! laugh

smile That is so sweet. This is what all the fighting and second-guessing and worry are about... You should definitely pat yourself on the back for finding a school situation that makes him this happy. laugh

I'd be very surprised if the school even looks at the TAKS testing, since it's not based on their curriulum. I'm hoping if it goes to due process that a hearing officer will, though. Since our district wouldn't test the limits, we had to use *something*. <<shrug>> I figured the standards must at least match up a little.

And Linda, I'm in the same mode as you were with now wanting more for DS than I would have accepted to begin with. Not sure if it's the best attitude, but what I would have agreed for in that first meeting (not much) is not enough now. I want what the law says he should get.

I can't imagine a situation where resentment towards me for filing would be taken out on my kid. That would be just awful. Does it make a difference that our district is gigantic? I'd be interested in hearing about specific scenarios that you folks know about so I can factor this into my decision. The thought really scares me... eek

Honestly, I don't think I'd worry too much about retaliation, Jool. After all, if it came to that, you're probably going to pull him out for one of those other options (HSing or private school), right?

So what have you got to lose, really, aside from the time and money you spent on due process? Either there will be no retaliation and you're worrying about nothing, or else there is retaliation and you pull him out as you would have had to anyway if you didn't fight the situation.

I know the threat of retaliation seems horrible and scary, but I don't see it as a real factor in the decision-making process because it doesn't really change your options.

Love,

Spock
    wink

Kriston
    Jool Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Good point Kriston.

Originally Posted by Kriston
    Love,

Spock
    wink

LOL!

I'm glad you appreciated that. I always worry when I just snip the emotion right out of the decision-making process as if it weren't there that I'm not being helpful. But sometimes it does help clarify matters.

<shrug> I yam what I yam and that's all that I yam, right? wink And happily, it doesn't hurt my feelings if people completely ignore my off-beat advice! smile

Kriston
    Originally Posted by Grinity
    Hothousing is entirely fair in this situation - and it will help him emotionally during the wait AND it will give him something to do.

What is hothousing?

For me, GT means Georgia Tech.
    Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM