Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 246 guests, and 19 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
    That's why I say don't feel like you have to have a great comeback. I mean, prep one if you can now, of course, but realize that you don't have to play that game at all.

If you're confident you don't have to think fast! smile

Kriston
    This reminds me of an RV I saw with a VW bug hitched to the back. The RV's license plates: I pull. The VW's plates: I push.

master of none - your questions get my bp up. lol

I agree there can be different ways to answer, depending on who you are talking with and how you are feeling that day - deflect with humor, offer genunine information, etc., etc.

In other areas of life where people have made clueless remarks, assumptions or comments, I've found my DH's advice to be just plain indispensible:

"Why do you expect them to understand? They won't; they can't. Just let it go."

Having said that, I will also humbly submit that immediately saying, "yes, I agree" sets a good tone, like others have suggested, and then not saying anything more can really work well. Just let it drop (unless, of course, you are speaking with a school and need to advocate).

Last edited by seablue; 01/12/09 10:05 PM. Reason: can't spell
    I
    I
    I'm certainly glad Barack Obama's mother was concerned with keeping him challenged, but it might be too political an answer. wink This was an interesting article about Obama's mother and I pulled out a couple parts that fit with our discussion.

http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,1729524-1,00.html

Ann took a job teaching English at the U.S. embassy. She woke up well before dawn throughout her life. Now she went into her son's room every day at 4 a.m. to give him English lessons from a U.S. correspondence course. She couldn't afford the �lite international school and worried he wasn't challenged enough.

In 1971, when Obama was 10, Ann sent him back to Hawaii to live with her parents and attend Punahou, an �lite prep school that he'd gotten into on a scholarship with his grandparents' help. This wrenching decision seemed to reflect how much she valued education.

Originally Posted by inky
    I'm certainly glad Barack Obama's mother was concerned with keeping him challenged, but it might be too political an answer. wink This was an interesting article about Obama's mother and I pulled out a couple parts that fit with our discussion.

http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,1729524-1,00.html

Ann was herself clearly gifted and highly motivated as was her father. She hung out with very smart people, too. It is not clear how much pressure she put on BO versus how much came from him. She also had her own interests and no doubt BO had to be on his own from time to time - and in a foreign culture. Their early pictures together reveal BO to be a very precocious kid. Its interesting to speculate between the lines of her life and the photos and comments from friends, both in the Press and what can be found from careful searching.

BO is certainly a Gladwellian Outlier as is Palin. Both possess enormous native intelligence and iron will, and both took advantage of unique opportunities at all steps in their lives. Both have formidable, successful spouses and a strong family life and supportive parents who pushed them and then did not stand in the way.

I
    I
    BO is certainly a Gladwellian Outlier as is Palin. Both possess enormous native intelligence and iron will, and both took advantage of unique opportunities at all steps in their lives. Both have formidable, successful spouses and a strong family life and supportive parents who pushed them and then did not stand in the way.

I'm reading Outliers and keep thinking about it in relation to the Cradles of Eminence book. BO and Palin would be good additions for the next edition. It's too bad Ann didn't get to finish her memoirs because the little I know about her story is fascinating.

S
    S
    Didn't read other replies so hope I don't repeat...

Kids need to learn that they have to do things they don't want to.
    True, and that is why my kid has to do chores and things at home...but kid's don't actually learn when they do things they don't need to.

If they move ahead, they are going to miss something and it will cause problems (make them fail) later. If they stay behind, they are going to miss something and it will cause problems (social/emotional) later.

Children who are ahead, need to learn to work with their peers at their level. How well they can do this is an indication of their maturity. When children who are ahead work with peers at their peers level, that shows their tolerance, not their capabilities.

There is important learning in how to behave in the classroom. If we move a child up, they will learn that misbehavior gets them out of the work. I don't get that one...classrooms should have behavior plans at all levels. And children are not accelerated for misbehaving...or else there would be lots of accelerated children in schools.

(an older teacher to a younger one) Don't worry about the kids in your class that are inattentive and you can't seem to reach them. I've seen lots of them grow up to be brilliant in their careers. And I have seen a lot of them that continue to be inattentive and can't hold a job.

I
    I
    Children who are ahead, need to learn to work with their peers at their level. How well they can do this is an indication of their maturity.

Somehow Martin Luther King managed to learn to work with his peers despite skipping grades. wink

I
    I
    I read the part that he skipped 9th and 12th from multiple sources. I'm not sure how the math works that he would skip 2 grades and go to college at 15. Maybe early entrance to K?

Did you know that Dr. King:

Skipped both the 9th and 12th grades and went to college at age 15.

http://www.hofstra.edu/home/News/UR/ur_mlk.html

I
    I
    That makes sense Dottie and thanks for the explanation. I guess in today's frame of reference that would be "early entrance to Kindergarten" but it was normal back then.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM