Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 398 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #347 08/10/06 02:55 AM
    A
    alex13 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    I am starting to fill out the paperwork for YS. Son only has 1 score to get him in so they advised me to do a portfolio. If you have done a portfolio what did you do?

Thank You
    Kathy

Educational Flashcards
    www.MontessoriCards.com
    #348 08/10/06 03:49 AM
    Hi Kathy -
    welcome -
    we didn't do a portfolio, so I don't know for sure, but what does you son do that "above age-level?"

Also - don't hesitate to call and ask the contact at Davidson any questions you have.

Trinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    #349 08/10/06 09:01 AM
    A
    alex13 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    My son is 4.5 yrs old will turn 5 in late Nov. He is currently working on a 1st grade level for most subjects and a 2nd grade level for science. He hasn't excelled to a very advanced level in any particular subject. He has been excelling at the same rate in all subjects. However, science he has just made the leap about the rest.

I have started making a list of books that he has read. Through they are not in the order that he read them. I do have pictures of him when he was 3 writing on his chalk board skip counting by 10's. I have a few more pictures like this and I have keep almost all of the workbook pages he has done. Most of them have the age and date on which he did these.

I was thinking about also doing a video b/c he is an extrovert, loves to talk, and loves the camera.

Any thing else?

Educational Flashcards
    www.MontessoriCards.com
    #350 08/10/06 09:31 PM
    Sounds good!
    Do you have notes about what age he started talking? reading?
    I encourage you to send in your best guess about what they want, and then to expect that they will give you some guidance about what else they need. I think the video is good cause then they can "meet" your child.
    Smiles and Hugs,
    Trinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    #351 09/03/06 11:51 AM
    C
    cym Offline
    C
    Dear Alex13,

The last post on your topic was several weeks ago, but I just read it and thought I'd offer my 2 cents. We did a portfolio that included workbook material, video (very short), and some reading info. It was adequate for my son to get accepted.

#352 09/30/06 06:31 AM
    C
    C
    Dear Cym,

How old is your son? I want to do a portfolio but I am not sure if all of his talent searches would be fine? He is only getting 99% on his math level and 99% on his distance math courses online? Do you think it eould be fine?

#353 10/01/06 10:01 PM
    C
    cym Offline
    C
    Dear Confucius,

My son had just turned 6 when we applied to Davison YS. He had some IQ test reports that were very high (ceiling), but they didn't match the exact ones required, so we needed to do the portfolio. I was worried that since he wasn't a prodigy at anything like concert pianist or toddler doing calculus, he wouldn't qualify, but I was feeling desperate because he did/does have some amazing abilities (esp in math) that I wanted counseling about. I called the Davidson Institute and spoke to them about what to put in the portfolio. The recommendations are important, too. I am lucky I had educators who were supportive. I think it basically showed he was several grade levels above his age. Beyond that, I can't say, but it can't hurt to try or first call them and get their advice. Good Luck.

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM