Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 170 guests, and 44 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
    Well depending on the iq test I've been given.... I am either mentally retarded or a genius...... I wish i was kidding!

It's all relative.... DS7 is really smart, but he still can't tie his own shoe

love this thread and I don't have time right now to read through all of it but I will be back. I just wanted to say a couple of things.

First, someone on another board posted this information and someone tell me if it is urban legend or if there is evidence to back it up. Children get there IQ through the X chromesome and because of this the son gets his intelligence from his mother (so shellymos if that is true you just might be in denial) and the daughter gets her intelligence from both parents.

Second, I never thought myself as gifted until very recently. Yes I tested out of standardized tests when I was a child. If I remember correctly my DM informed me that when I was in elementary school I was testing at college level in specifically math but I never lumped that in to me being gifted. Even today I have come to terms that I am gifted but MG and I know my daughter is smarter than me which thrilled my grandmother to inform me of that when she was a tiny thing just by comparing me as a baby and her as a baby. I think the logic was Ahhh justice for the girl who thinks she knows everything you have a rude awaking coming. She was very wise and knew what I was not willing to see at that point. If she was still alive I am sure I would be getting the I told you so.

Anyway ... I will be back to finish reading the thread and I hope someone can confirm or deny the link to parents on intelligence.

E
    E
    My hand is in the air also. I may be gifted but with my LDs my performance is strictly average smile DS and DH blow me away in all the hard math and science subjects. I can hold my own in the social sciences smile

T
    T
    Sorry folks I'm not very good at describing my thoughts in detail. I tend to speak and wright in general terms.

Giftedness is a new door that has just been opened. I am learning as much as I possibly can. Much of my learning has been through this wonderful site.

The reason I don't feel qualified... is this is all new to me. I really don't want to give anyone incorrect or wrong info. I guess it's more of a comfort zone, when I become more comfortable with all of this, my confidence will grow.

I do notice there is always a lot guests on this forum. Why??? Are they also afraid to join in or just curious???

S
    OP Offline
    S
    Hi Tall boys,
    Well I understand reluctance to jump in on topics until you know more. I typically stick to what I know or ask questions. I remember when the word "gifted" was all new and then read a little about it in a book and learned more. then as time has passed I feel more comfortable, but only in certain areas of course. But you can always ask questions, I have certainly asked my share.

About the guests, I am a registered user but show up as a guest. I don't know quite why, but I guess I feel a little weird about people being able to see when I am on here and exactly what post I am reading. I am not that private, but that still feels strange to me. so guests are registered users, just anonymous.

so if you don't mind me asking, how many kids do you have and what ages?

S
    OP Offline
    S
    Originally Posted by elh0706
    DS and DH blow me away in all the hard math and science subjects. I can hold my own in the social sciences smile

That's me. I had 4.0 when getting my masters, because it was all things I was interested in and good at. Social work/psychology, math, language arts, and foreign languages have always come easy to me. Science and social studies were another story. Usually I would manage to make B's since I worked my butt off at them.

S
    OP Offline
    S
    Originally Posted by Katelyn'sM om
    First, someone on another board posted this information and someone tell me if it is urban legend or if there is evidence to back it up. Children get there IQ through the X chromesome and because of this the son gets his intelligence from his mother (so shellymos if that is true you just might be in denial) and the daughter gets her intelligence from both parents.

I have never heard that so can't say for sure. I do have an uncle (my mom's brother) who is PG. He is high up there in the computer field and programming/inventions, etc. I don't quite comprehend what all he does, but I know what he does is important and he has been offerred all sorts of jobs based on his history. My mom may be gifted as well, all her brothers were gifted as well (but only one was PG). One of my brothers is HG. Can it skip a generation? As I have said I am not unintelligent, but I am quite certain I am not technically "gifted". My DD seems pretty bright, but she isn't even 2 yet so it's hard to say. She does not appear HG like her brother, but I have read about and am already observing how different it presents itself in siblings.

Isa Offline
    Originally Posted by shellymos
    DH's good friend is clearly gifted, and is able to solve the rubix cube quickly behind his back, etc. He can even carry on a conversation and does it quite quickly.

I knew it: I am a genius jejejeje !!!!

Yeah, I can solve Rubik's cube in just a few minutes (much less than 5, I have not tried for speed in a loooong time). I even invented a few movements when I was 15ish.
    I can talk too and look away while I do it.

Sorry, I could not resist the brag wink

You rock, Isa!

Brag on, girlfriend! That's so cool! laugh

Kriston
    Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/22/24 08:50 AM
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM