Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 437 guests, and 25 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    I
    inky Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    JoAnn Posted this on another thread and I wanted to make sure it didn't get missed.

smile
    Off the subject but if anyone lives in the Chicago area our school is having Linda Silverman, Ph.D come to speak on Giftedness in general and the 2E challenges specifically.
    Lake Forest district 67.

I was asked to help get the word out and have interested people come.

She tested our 2E daughter and has been a real resource for all of us.
    date- january 21st and 6:30 pm.

I can give details if anyone wants to PM me or find more information on the school web site www.lfelem.lfc.edu/district/programs/gifted_services.html

I
    inky Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    The title of her talk grabs me!

"If Our Child is So Smart, Why Aren't Our Lives Easier?,"

We'll go........can't pass it up. Although, I'm very interested in her talk about vs learners for teachers/parents in the morning. Too far away in distance to go to the morning and evening session........having a hard time deciding.

Any recommendations?

Oooh...That is a hard choice! Sure you can't do both?

I mean, she is the expert on VS learners! Maybe find out if she'd going beyond the books? If she's covering ground that she covers in her books about VS learners, then go to the other session.

At least that's what I'd do if there's any way to find out.

Kriston
    Mia Offline
    Dh and I are already registered! We're only able to go to the evening session. I'm excited, should be interesting. And what a bargain. laugh

I also like the title -- that about sums it up!

Mia
    Oh!!! I'm so very jealous of you 'Neato. cry I would love to be able to hear her speak. I have been trying to find a copy of her book, 'Upside-Down Brilliance' for sale somewhere. However, since it is out of print, the current cost is over $100 on the internet. Yikes! I bought the book 'Visual-Spatial Learners' by Alexandra Shires Golon and was a little disappointed. I was hoping for more detailed information. Does anyone know how the two books compare? If UDB is very similar to VSL, then I won't bother hunting the internet for a used copy.

'Neato, could you report back about what you learn from either session. Enquiring minds want to know! How does a school district go about getting someone like Linda Silverman to come and speak there? I am in awe! My school district has probably never heard of her and/or would not care enough to invest in bring her here. I am seriously DOK!!! grin

Mom to DS12 and DD3
    Mia: We cross-posted. I would love to hear your thoughts on the talk too. smile My son is the poster child for Visual-Spatial Learners. But I agree with Dottie and others. The title of the other session is very enticing!

Mom to DS12 and DD3
    J
    J
    I am happy regarding all the interest about Linda Silverman coming to our school. The way i understand it to be is the evening is the option open to the public and the morning is teachers. I am not sure to be honest. She will be talking about why is life not easier and will touch on VSL and 2E I am sure and will take questions.

She assessed my kid and even though many of us are well schooled on her topics, it is always something to hear the "best in thier field" on any topic I feel.

Any advice on an advocate referral I really need to help at an upcoming meeting I have regarding my 2E kid and the school making her take the screeners to stay in the gifted program even tough I have full WISC and Stanford V and Linda Silverman pronouncing her highly gifted and LD? We have a 504 but need to "encourage" the school to use existing data and not make her take the screeners that made her through up and score in the bottom 25% when the same subtests on the WISC showed 99.9%. We are desperate.
    JoAnn

J
    J
    Irony is not how I see it since it is my kid. Since this is a family site, I'll not let you know what i really think of it.

I will be asking to say something but they have already read her report and they have already said she still needs to go through their screeners. They screened her out two years ago... due to her Ld issues that we had no idea were there atthe time and we had Linda assess her after they said hit the road. Now, two years later she is coming, they again want to subject her to the screeners that are not for 2E kids, HG 2E but this is where I am. You would think they would be embarrased at their point of view given her following but no, they are still saying our way of the highway. My daughter threw up during the CoGAt but they still want to resubmit it to her.

She will say something but it is out of the hands of the teachers that will be at her presentation but atthe Super Intendent level. He will not be there I am sure.

Irony? Unbelievable. I think the admin. did not know the history when they agreed to bring her here.

I
    inky Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    How frustrating! frown
    I don't have any advice but did you see this part on the Wrightslaw web site?

http://www.yellowpagesforkids.com/help/dis.orgs.htm

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...