Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 358 guests, and 20 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Grinity Offline OP
    OP Offline
    http://www.freespirit.com/files/other/Teaching.Gifted.Kids.excerpt.pdf

for a very interesting book excerpt

I cried for a week while reading this book - for what I had missed as a student.

Interestingly, this book has come underattack as being "anti-acceleration" I believe the preface to the 2nd edition clarifies the position that both are nescessary for the most gifted kids.

smiles -
    Trinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    B
    bk1 Offline
    B
    I love this book! It is sitting on my kitchen table right now.

I read this book last year and found it had very helpful, practical ideas for teachers on how to differentiate instruction. I liked it so much, I bought a copy for my child's teacher. She told me the book was really helpful, and other teachers actually borrowed it from her.

It is written from a teacher's perspective, so I think if you provide a copy to a teacher, they may be more receptive to it than to a book from a parent's perspective.

It is also great at explaining the gifted child's need for challenge to the teacher and also talking about how the needs of the very gifted are different from gifted.

bk

Grinity Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Wow BK!
    That's terrific. I also bought a copy for my son's public school, and offered to buy the videotape. The book was returned to me, and I was asked to highlight the most important parts. I spent hours doing so. Then I returned it- and as far as I know, that was the end of that.

I asked one of our Gifted Experts about the book, puzzled at our school's reaction. She quiped that it was a wonderful approach if the teacher was gifted herself, but terribly difficult to administer under ordinary circumstances, which is why she favored acceleration, which asks much less of our already overburdened teachers. Still I think that an individual teacher, gifted coordinator, or charter school could base a wonderful program on these ideas and help all children be better prepared for the future.

Interesting aside - I've heard many parents toss around the idea that enrichment works if the child is within a year or two of their "readiness level" placement. For example, a MG child placed with their agemates would be expected to be well accomidated by enrichment. A "mildly" PG child with a gradeskip and a few subject accelerations might be expected to do well with enrichment. As always, student personality, and the individual teacher make such a difference. What works for one child, at one time, may not work for another. Still - one of the things I love about this particular book is the definition of Giftedness - children who are "ready" to work a year or more ahead of their agemates!

Smiles,
    Trinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM