Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 414 guests, and 26 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
    incogneato #33597 12/29/08 06:03 PM
    J
    JoAnn Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    I would but once they test her and have their bad numbers and she once again throws up again, what do I do to get them to not use the numbers they have? I even spoke to the author of the CoGAT, he said it is a srceener, use the WISC!

And if I let them WISC her with an inexperienced psych, what have I learned about any progress we may have made with her therapies? I cannot re WISC her fo another year!

Thanks!!!! Youare great!

incogneato #33598 12/29/08 06:09 PM
    J
    JoAnn Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    You have helped, as I have come to the conclusions you did, so we must be headed in the right direction. I am waiting LS reply. If god himself came down in the middle of the meeting and said she is gifted and needs to stay in... they would not agree so I will be discussing and hopefully not sueing.

It is shameful that a school would go this far but they are.
    Thank you.

Any direction to the section in Wrights Law would be helpful. I am looking but cannot find what you mentioned.
    Thanks

JoAnn #33599 12/29/08 06:17 PM
    I
    I
    Here's a section about Independent Educational Evaluations that may be helpful.

http://www.wrightslaw.com/info/test.iee.steedman.htm

inky #33634 12/30/08 09:27 AM
    I found this link to a summary of the changes in IDEA that went into effect in 2005:

http://www.wrightslaw.com/idea/law.htm (link to the IDEA 2004 wording about evaluations and IEPs)

Under this heading: IDEA 2004 Statute - Changes in Key Statutes
    Click on the link for:
    IDEA 2004: Section 1414- Evaluations, Reevaluations and IEPs
    Scroll down to page 6. There is information there about using the tests and other information provided by the parent. It's a section called Review of Existing Evaluation Data.
    (sorry but I couldn't get the link to copy and paste!)

I think you can use this to advocate for the fact that the existing data you have clearly demonstrates the need and that putting her through further testing is not appropriate due to her responses to testing and the time it would take to complete the testing delaying services. I don't think there is anything in the law that says they *can't* request their own testing but you can certainly advocate that it is just not necessary. And they can't do the testing without your consent.

I would try the local Center For Independent Living that serves your area for an educational advocate:
    http://www.incil.org/locations.asp
    enter in your county of residence and find the CIL that serves you. Their services are free. If they don't have a youth advocate on staff they should be able to provide you with a resource of advocates. If the agency serving your county can't help then call the next closest one.

Hope this helps in your advocacy!

doodlebug #33660 12/30/08 02:13 PM
    J
    JoAnn Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    thank you. I will be reaing this asap and hope the volume of information will get them to want to do the right thing. Illinois lets the schools do almost whatever they want. Them forcing her to have to take tests inorder to be considered for services that have made her sick and given in accurate data is a form of discrimination based on what the Office of Civil rights has told me. I do not at all want to go this route but I am not sure if anything I can say or show them will matter at this point. sad.

JoAnn #33662 12/30/08 04:18 PM
    M
    M
    Is there an ARC office or something of that sort in your area? My daughter 2E and they will send an advocate to any meeting you are to have with the school for free. You have the right to have anyone you want to attend meetings regarding your daughter under IDEA. They will often meet with you ahead of time to discuss what you are trying to accomplish and it is their job to understand and relay the law. Often the school districts aren't aware of what is and isn't required. You also have the right to delay any meetings so that an advocate can attend. That is the way it has been explained to me.

EPGY OE Volunteer Group Leader
    Dottie #33780 12/31/08 01:30 PM
    M
    M
    Yes!

I was just on the phone with my daughters advocate and wow. I have been reading and reading to try and educate myself but they are really up on what your rights are and what the law says. They will attend any meeting that you have, even offered to help write a letter if we decide to fight the school district in my daughters case.

I also found out that I have the right to request an IEE, or an outside independant evaluation be done if I don't agree with the schools testing, at their cost. The advocate said that once you mention that you plan to do so they are often more willing to work with you to help keep down costs. (:

Hope it helps!

Last edited by melmichigan; 12/31/08 01:34 PM.

EPGY OE Volunteer Group Leader
    melmichigan #33963 01/03/09 11:26 AM
    J
    JoAnn Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    I will get on this. The last advocate I used was somewhat helpful. what can I ask the appointed ones to do or say for us/ Do school usually get uglier when an appointed advocate shows up.

They already really hate us so I have nothing to loose I guess. What is ACR? I know what the OCR office is but not aware of the other.
    thnaks. JoAnn

melmichigan #33964 01/03/09 11:30 AM
    J
    JoAnn Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    Thank you. Any chance you live near Chicago?

melmichigan #33972 01/03/09 12:59 PM
    J
    JoAnn Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    can you send me a PM so I can see what you have your advocate do?
    JoAnn

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM