Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 447 guests, and 17 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    jkeller, Alex Hoxdson, JPH, Alex011, Scotmicky12
    11,444 Registered Users
    June
    S M T W T F S
    2 3 4 5 6 7 8
    9 10 11 12 13 14 15
    16 17 18 19 20 21 22
    23 24 25 26 27 28 29
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    OMG! These stories just make my heart and head and stomach hurt!

mizzoumommy, the fact that the P and Psych changed their tune AFTER seeing her in action and AFTER stating she should be in 1st or 2nd grade would be laughable if it weren't so horrible! I mean, come on, people!

So sorry! So annoyed! So angry! So sad!

If that was 2 years ago almost, where is your DD now and how is she doing?

Kriston
    OP Offline
    Hmm so they didn't even by their own observation after learning her age..... it's amazing how myopic we are regarding age and learning!

You guys make me glad I have *just* MG kids....sigh....what a road to plow....

Originally Posted by mizzoumommy
    Me, "I'm aware of that, I am here to petition for early enrollment".
    Principal, "There's nothing I can do".
    Me, "Well, here are various documents regarding her development from various professionals".
    School Psychologist, "These are all based on observation and the pediatrician is in general pediatrics; her recommendation means little".
    Me, �What? In the reception area, you stated that you thought Boo was at least in 1st grade. You based that on your observation of her.�
    Psychologist: �I was in error, it was a short conversation�.
    Me, �Okay, but you base a lot of your recommendations on observation, yes?�
    Psychologist, �Yes, but I fail to see your point�.
    Me, �Why not trust your instinct then? Why suddenly discount it when the only thing that has changed is that now you know her age? That doesn�t change anything about your earlier interaction with her. Also, why are the observations of a medical professional that has known Boo for years, dismissible?� (By this point I am feel a bit, crazy).
    In jumps the principal: �We here at, School Name, believe that all children should have the chance to be children. Pushing a child is against our core values.�
    I didn�t know what to say after that; so I just grabbed my things, muttered �thank you� and Boo and I left.

This is great stuff!! I am glad you debated them.

In another context you could get this same person to talk about breaking down the limitations of society. crazy

Last edited by Austin; 12/19/08 01:38 PM.
    Originally Posted by Kriston
    OMG! These stories just make my heart and head and stomach hurt!

mizzoumommy, the fact that the P and Psych changed their tune AFTER seeing her in action and AFTER stating she should be in 1st or 2nd grade would be laughable if it weren't so horrible! I mean, come on, people!

So sorry! So annoyed! So angry! So sad!

If that was 2 years ago almost, where is your DD now and how is she doing?

I just wonder if its better to game the system?

Gladwells' "Outliers" makes it clear that age-placement disadvantages some kids and that its TIME and QUALITY of practice that makes the talented into great achievers.

For example, we met a couple whose kids are extremely gifted athletically and large for their age, so they enrolled them in stuff, like ski, soccer, and ice skating lessons 1-3 years ahead of time, lying about their true age. Both of their sons were taking ski lessons for 5 year olds as 3.5 year olds and did as well as or better than the other participants.

By not acccelerating these kids, the schools are throwing obstacles in the way of getting 10,000 hours in.

Mia Offline
    Mizzou, that is unbelievable, and so indicative of what seems to go on in a lot of schools. Like so many others, we got the runaround ... It's so frustrating.

Mia
    M
    M
    Re: What I did after the school fiasco.

It was a morning meeting and my husband and I planned to meet during his lunch break to discuss it. He took one look at my face and Boo's (she'd been crying and I felt a bit green) and said, "Uh-oh"! I couldn't eat I was so nauseated and angry. Boo was upset and asked, "Why do people get so angry about the things I do? What do they mean by pushing? I wish people would stop saying that? There's nothing wrong with me, is there?" She kept asking similiar questions and alluded to some other times people had been mean because of her abilities. We spent a good portion of the lunch addressing Boo's concerns. My husband said, "It went *that* bad" addressing the fact that Boo had just spent the better part of an hour deeply concerned that she might "be broken".

Actually, it's only been about a year. I don't know why, I thought it was 2 years ago. Honestly, in a weird way it's a bit surreal. Boo is 4.5. We pulled her from preschool and decided to homeschool her. Depending on the subject, her work ranges between 1st and 3rd grade. We have moved and are in a different (supposedly better) school district and are considering using a public school as an umbrella school. If for nothing else except for access to assessments and materials to help with homeschooling her. I am cautiously (98%) optimistic.

That's awesome!!! Boo is lucky to have you and DH! grin

Boo was upset and asked, "Why do people get so angry about the things I do? What do they mean by pushing? I wish people would stop saying that? There's nothing wrong with me, is there?" She kept asking similiar questions and alluded to some other times people had been mean because of her abilities. We spent a good portion of the lunch addressing Boo's concerns. My husband said, "It went *that* bad" addressing the fact that Boo had just spent the better part of an hour deeply concerned that she might "be broken".

mizzoumommy. My heart absolutely breaks for boo. Reading your first post on this steamed me but now reading this just sends me over the edge. Got to love the 'adults' and their idiotic abilities. They never once considered boo's ability to comprehend the conversation b/c she was just 3 1/2 right? I am so ... i just don't know... I probably should stop typing and take time to cool off.

Anyway your boo sounds delightful and is so blessed to have you for her mother.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    11-year-old earns associate degree
    by indigo - 05/27/24 08:02 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/22/24 08:50 AM
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    Classroom support for advanced reader
    by Xtydell - 05/15/24 02:28 PM