Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 429 guests, and 36 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    Jool Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Originally Posted by Dottie
    Another thing I've learned is that the school often can't make a plan, because they don't know how. My school has worked well with my suggestions, but continues to be weak in coming up with their own. If you have a solid idea of what you want (grade skip, subject acceleration, distance learning, etc), it's easier to "sell" than a more generic "teach him at his level", sad though that may be.

I wish that were the problem, Dottie. We're dealing with a big school district/bureaucracy. There is so much red tape I don't understand - what I do know is there is *extreme* reluctance to deviate from their standard curriculum. A grade skip is virtually unheard of, so from their perspective they have already bent over backwards. They scoffed at DYS's offers to work with them to come up with something easy to do. They don't want to hear about Challenge Math (that DS would do on his own!), ALECS, or anything else. Sarcasm alert: But since all of the district's curricula go from "remediation to enrichment" to "ensure the needs of ALL children", we shouldn't need any of that stuff. mad

Last edited by Jool; 12/17/08 10:18 AM.
    That seems like a pretty crummy advocate, Jool! Knowledge without pressure is pretty useless in that particular situation, I think. That's more of a consultant than an advocate. Not what you need now, certainly!

Kriston
    Jool Offline OP
    OP Offline
    DH doesn't say much in meetings. He tends to be the dispassionate voice of reason - which just makes me pump up the emotion. I mean, I love that he's a rock, but it just doesn't cut it for advocating. smirk

So I'm thinking about hiring Hell's Angels as advocates for the next meeting... wink

Jool Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Thanks again everyone for your support. It really helps. And because I started this thread I feel entitled to add that I broke the 100 posts mark today. Is there something like Bronze poster status I get? laugh

Well, I still haven't gotten my notification yet, harumpf...

Sounds like you are doing well, Jool. I've heard from several people in the know around where I live, who give similar reports to what Gratified's teacher is saying.

I won't do into detail, but I decided to run a little "test" situation and found this thought to be pretty accurate.

I think Dottie is superbly brilliant for introducing her advocate as her dear friend.......

A
    A
    Originally Posted by JBDad
    We were recommended against using an advocate (by our pysch) because it tends to create a confrontational environment... Or amplify any tension that may already exist between the parents and the district. Sounds like that was not your experience.

JB,
    One last thing. The advocate I used was not confrontational in any way. He was good at standing his ground on the law, but made sure that we phrased everything carefully, led the teachers and principals to reach their own conclusions, which just happened to be the conclusions we wanted them to reach. It's been very positive. My only complaint is that he is so popular (School districts, schools, and parents from all over hire him) that sometimes I feel like it's hard to get a hold of him. Still, he is amazingly reasonably priced for his retainer.:)

Lya

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM