Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 357 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    P
    pdxmom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    P
    My son was just identified for TAG as "gifted". We are in a small rural area and no money for any organized program, or specific teachers who specialize in TAG.

What does this mean? The psychologist I met with told me he hadn't seen someone like my son in many many years, he was very excited.

I admit, I kinda freaked out.

We took him to a Psychologist to begin with because he was having some emotional problems, he was chanting, and singing all the time, and would obsess over various issues.

We have always known he was ahead of the game because (he began to read at age of two), and devoured all of the Harry Potter books last year, and understands the entire plot. He's also really ahead in Math.

However, he's very much seven years old emotionally, infact, he might be this side of immature.

So now what do we do?

Correct me if I am wrong here msg board but I believe TAG is a generic term standing for Talented and Gifted program. So my question is how did he get identified for TAG. Was it with the school district? And if so then they should have a program of some sort. Of course this depends on your state and the requirements which is where I would look first to see if TAG is mandated in your state. If it is than no matter how small your district is they should accommodate in some form or fashion. THIS said it does not mean that you will get your needs completely fulfilled. You just have to cruise this board to see how hard parents have to battle for their gifted kids.

But if there is no organized program or specific teacher who specializes in TAG than having your son in 'TAG' really is mute. I think IMHO that your son has been identified as gifted period with or without TAG sources and you will need to battle the school and possibly the district to have his needs met. Start with his teacher and see what she suggests if she is even willing to work with you. Ask for a conference with teacher, counselors, and principal to map a path which might include a pull out program, acceleration, etc.

Also did your son take a test? The results will help guide you and the school in what he does and doesn't need. Other possibilities is depending on the results of the test you could submit him to the Davidson program and they will provide you with a non partial advocate who helps you with the school.

Originally Posted by pdxmom
    So now what do we do?

I would start reading books about 'Gifted' understanding that since there is no official definition of the word, anyone at all is free to use it to mean anything they want.

Hi Pdxmom,
    Welcome!
    What you do now depends on your child's needs and your family's needs. How are things going for him in the regular classroom?

The Psychologist who does the testing is often a resource for answering these kinds of questions, and they sometimes make reccomendations for how to met these childrens needs. Your school doesn't need any special program to meet your son's needs, they just have to openminded about looking into what your son's needs are and flexible about finding ways to met them.

As for the normal maturity with precosious reading and math, that's not uncommon. One of the things that most people don't understand is that kid's who are different, and perhaps not having their learning needs met, are under stresses and pressures that ND (normally developing) kids never have to face, so perhaps some of the behavior that is labled immature is really quite amazing if we took it from their point of view.

Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    P
    pdxmom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    P
    Hi Katelyn's Mom -

Thanks for writing. My son was tested by the school psychologist using what they call the "Wechsler Intelligence Scale For Children - IV"

Since my posting, I see that the state of Oregon is "orange" meaning there are mandates but no money.

Wonderful.

Looks like we are on our own.

I will look into the Davidson Program.

Thanks.

P
    pdxmom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    P
    Hi Grinity - Thanks for the welcome:)

In the classroom socially he's great. He loves his friends, teachers, etc. However, he's "bored" stiff. He's in a Jr Great Book reading program for what they deem "high flyers" and he's doing advanced math.

I am going to meet with the psychologist, and his teacher after Christmas to create an IEP? and go from there.

My son scored 144 on this test he was administered, and I was told that was great. My thought was -- "Okay that's great, but now what?"

Thank you for your suggestions, I will follow up on them as well as outside stuff we can maybe do for him at home.

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by indigo - 04/30/24 12:27 AM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Testing with accommodations