Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 288 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #32632 12/12/08 11:05 AM
    I
    inky Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    After a frustrating advocacy meeting yesterday I came home and started reading "One Can Make a Difference: How Simple Actions Can Change the World." It's a collection of essays from fifty activists and world changers. The introduction had a great quote about looking at life's "impossibilities" that became possible-like aptly enough the Berlin Wall:
    If you bang your head against a brick wall long enough, the wall will fall.

Bang, bang, bang...I have a headache crazy

Yeah, I'm not completely sure I believe that... Or at least, I'm not sure that every wall will fall if only one person bangs on it. Our lifetimes are finite (as is our collective patience!), and some walls are quite thoroughly reinforced!

Of course, I consider myself a realist, so I recognize that optimism isn't always my strong suit. wink

Kriston
    I
    inky Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    Scratch the surface of a cynic and you will find a disappointed idealist
    Since I'm more of an idealist than a realist, I have to catch myself from becoming a cynic. wink

P
    P
    Originally Posted by inky
    Scratch the surface of a cynic and you will find a disappointed idealist
    Since I'm more of an idealist than a realist, I have to catch myself from becoming a cynic. wink

I'm at times an idealist and at times a cynic. Pretty interesting how my cynical self talks to my idealist self.

I call myself an "optimistic pessimist." LOL!

By that I mean that I am cheerful and positive whenever possible--not an Eeyore. I dislike endless negativity. However, I've been around long enough to have taken "Hope for the best and expect the worst" as one of my mantras...

wink

Kriston
    I
    inky Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    Hal Runkel put the power of one this way:
    Every significant change to a system begins with the same communicated message: "I'm not sure what anyone else is going to do, but this is what I'm going to do." Life altering changes do not begin with gangs of people all simultaneously acting as one. They begin with quiet statements, quiet actions of singular fortitude. They begin with a resounding resolve to change herself, whatever the outcome.
    It's always nice when you find you're not banging your head against the wall all by yourself. Thanks again to the people on this board for taking me from mad to smile again.

Hope for the best and prepare for the worst?

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Hope for the best and prepare for the worst?

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Inky: I completely agree with you. My greatest struggles in life seem to come from the collisions between my idealist views of the world and the hard, cold nature of reality. When I see something that needs to change in the world, either on the small local scale or on a global scale, I find that I am quickly frustrated by the sheer resistance to change that most people feel. But I keep trying. I haven't reach the cynical stage yet!

But I do know that I come by my passion honestly. My grandmother, who lived to be 90 years old, was a force to be reckoned with. She decided in her 20s or 30s that her section of the city needed a local library. She made it happen all by herself. Even into her 80's, she decided that her street needed a streetlight in her block because of a sharp curve in the road. She made it happen by raising her voice down at city hall. I spent most of my young and formable days watching this very kind and very determined southern lady march up to people and create new program or ideas out of thin air, just by her force of will.

There are certainly people who can do this, and the rest of the world will benefit from them. So continue banging that head. One day the wall will fall. And maybe, just maybe, others will join you along the way. I know that I would be happy to! And we can commiserate about our headaches together too! crazy

Mom to DS12 and DD3
    I
    inky Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    Ebeth, it sounds like your grandmother was a true steel magnolia. I learned from watching my mother advocate so I keep that in mind with my daughters and try to set a good example of being respectful yet determined. I can tell the passionate idealism is strong in them and they'll be banging their heads against the wall too someday...if they don't become cynics before then.

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM