Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 312 guests, and 30 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #32593 12/11/08 09:11 PM
    R
    rooney Offline OP
    OP Offline
    R
    It seems that with the no child left behind... my child is left behind. Getting service for him in the public school is like pulling teeth. He was identified in 2nd grade and now that we have moved he is not being served. The school has already mentioned that the school we moved from is academically behind and is proving to be right. However, the test that identified my son is not district, it is the standard tag id. Can anyone help me with ideas on how to advocate for him. He severely stuggles socially and has been evaluated for As. (high functioning) I work with kiddos with mental disabilities and I know that if my son had an IEP he would have been served yesterday, I just get frustrated that since my son is on the other end of the spectrum he is placed on the back burner. Thank you to anyone that can help.

Last edited by rooney; 12/11/08 09:12 PM.
    How old is your son?
    What kind of services would help him?
    Can he get a 504 for anxiety, or ADHD or AS?

Does your state have a gifted association? If so, call the number and ask about what the local laws are regarding gifted.
    Your state's department of education website may also have information about what your state laws are, or a contact person who might be helpful.
    Local Universities sometimes have a person on staff who will keep in touch with parents by phone to hear how things are going.

Sometimes social struggles are solved by a full grade or subject skip, if it helps met the childs academic needs. Even if the social situation doesn't improve, being 'less aware than usual' socially can be something of an advantage as the child may be happy with older children in spite of not fitting in particularly well socially.

What kinds of accomidations would be needed to give your kid a chance to be happy and a chance to learn how to learn?

Welcome
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM