Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 86 guests, and 23 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    MyModalert, miappaa, Brooklyn, hellotoyou, polles
    11,456 Registered Users
    June
    S M T W T F S
    2 3 4 5 6 7 8
    9 10 11 12 13 14 15
    16 17 18 19 20 21 22
    23 24 25 26 27 28 29
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    D
    dmcdad Offline OP
    OP Offline
    D
    We are scheduling a meeting with our DD7's home room teacher. She is currently in a once a week half-day GT pull out program. We've met a couple of times already and the teacher has been great but the changes requested had been minor. The principal and district admin are not very GT friendly, however. Subject level acceleration appears just about impossible, and they strongly discourage grade skipping.

We recently had our DD7 tested with the SB-V, and want to present the report and results to the teacher, and try to make much harder push for more acceleration. Specifically, we want her to be significantly accelerated in Math (she loves it).

Does anyone have any Advocacy 101 tips for parent/teacher (and likely eventually parent/principal) meetings? I'm a firm believer that how we present and push for changes can make all the difference in the world. We are expecting a somewhat uphill battle here against the school based on what we've heard from other GT parents, so I want to start off on a good foot and in the right direction.

Any tips on how best to present the SB-V results?

Any specific points/phrasing/angles that have worked well for you?

And probably just as important, any tips on what not to do or say? smile

Thanks!

What they said!
    And - Take a look at the book, 'Iowa Acceleration Scale Manual' Your school's gifted coordinator may have a copy, or be willing to help you plan.

One approach is to try to determine how your dd fits with the school's current curriculum. The school may even have this posted on their website, perhaps as 'scope and sequence.'

Try to bring in work samples in your child's own handwriting that older children in her school are given for homework.

Remember that doing everything wrong my ruin things, but even if you do everything right, you still may not have things go in a reasonable way.

I liked the book 'Getting to Yes."

This isn't really a negotiation, it's more like begging. For mental health reasons, you may want to flush out a back up plan or two. Getting to know your daughter's LOG (level of giftedness) will tell you a lot about what kinds of back up plans might work, and how much of a difference it would make. Many kids who are 'right in the middle of the gifted pack' do fine with Saturday Enrichment and the pull out programs. Have you seen any behavior from your dd that worries you? This is the 'social development' card that the schools usually react to.

Best Wishes,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    I
    I
    Thanks for posting the guidebook. It highlighted some things I need to work on.
    o Avoid feelings of entitlement

�Principled negotiation,� a method described by the authors, guides advocates to focus
    on underlying interests, rather than positions, through:
    o Separating the people from the problem.
    o Focusing on interests, not positions.

While it�s certainly not the ideal, it is key to remember that you are
    essentially requesting a favor from your child�s educators.

There are many potential pitfalls in the process of advocating for your child, including:
    o Using an adversarial rather than a persuasive style

I'll add Getting to Yes to my library list. How do you avoid feelings of entitlement when you feel children ARE entitled to an appropriate education? It sticks in my craw that I have to ask a favor from my child's educators and that's probably why I have trouble with the persuasive style. Sounds like unhealthy perfectionism and I'll have to find a way to make peace with ideal vs. real. cry

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Orange County (California) HG school options?
    by Otters - 06/09/24 01:17 PM
    Chicago suburbs - private VS public schools
    by indigo - 06/08/24 01:02 PM
    Mom in hell, please help
    by indigo - 06/08/24 01:00 PM
    Justice sensitivity in school / DEI
    by indigo - 06/06/24 05:58 AM
    11-year-old earns associate degree
    by indigo - 05/27/24 08:02 PM