Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 231 guests, and 15 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Q
    OP Offline
    Q
    I had a question for those of you whose children are using the HTS software. DS just started a couple of weeks ago, and when I looked at his performance, I saw he started at 95% and moved up to 97%. My question is where did your children start? If he's at 95% to start, why does he need it? Or do they start it so low and easy everyone starts at 95%?

Also, I left a message with the optometrist. DS complains about the convergence base in (?) saying it's making him cross-eyed (and the optometrist said that's okay) and it makes him see cross-eyed after he's done. She explained to me that that's normal - like going to the gym and having tired muscles afterward. But the other day, DS was looking at something close up and I saw him go cross-eyed, and I never saw him do that before - except when he was fooling around. I have not had him do exercises since.

Do any of you know of any risks with the exercises?

I'm a bit concerned.

It sounds like you maybe have different software than my DS has. The software he has starts off very easy and gets harder as you go along. After awhile it was very hard for him to pass several of the activities although he was getting 100's on them to begin with. It's supposed to adjust somehow. I don't know of anything that made him cross-eyed though and didn't see any evidence of any risks involved in the software my DS was doing. But like I said, maybe it is different. If you're concerned, call the doctor again and really stress your concern, especially if he is doing it at other times too.

I can't speak to involuntary cross-eyed-ness (???), but I know that it is good for eyes for people to choose to go cross-eyed. It strengthens the muscles. Contrary to what moms used to tell kids, your eyes won't stick that way in real life (normally!).

Now, why they are staying that way for your son, I'm not sure. I'd definitely talk to the doctor about it--not just the assistant!--and pronto.

Kriston
    Q
    OP Offline
    Q
    Thanks, Kriston, this is what the doctor told me, too:

it is good for eyes for people to choose to go cross-eyed. It strengthens the muscles. Contrary to what moms used to tell kids, your eyes won't stick that way in real life (normally!).

And thanks EandCMom, you answered my question. The kids start out at a high percentage b/c it's set to an easy level.

FWIW, DS loves the vision therapy, except for the one exercise.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Testing with accommodations