Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 441 guests, and 9 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    I
    inky Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    Yep, I was taken aback. But why? confused
    Probably because the letter reinforces misconceptions that we are working hard to change. Hopefully the attached response can undo some of the damage. I'm open to further suggestions and editing. Keep in mind it was difficult to say all I wanted with the paper's 250 word limit. Thank you also for everyone's earlier feedback. It helped me go from this mad to frown

While sharing many of Pentti Teraslinna�s concerns regarding the need for education reform, I vehemently disagree with his statements that reinforce misconceptions about gifted education.

One misconception is that early age IQ and other tests are not valid. Inderbir Kaur Sandhu at Cambridge recommends IQ testing for gifted children be done between age 5 and 12. This is because ceiling effects are in place which may begin as young as 8 for the gifted child.

Mr. Teraslinna stated that teaching should concentrate on the slow students and the so-called �gifted� could assist the teachers with the slower classmates. In essence, this is saying we should choose to educate some students and not others. Instead, we must find ways to support students that don't involve sacrificing another child's learning potential in the process. We need to value each child�s continued growth whether their learning capacity is �inconveniently� fast or slow for our schools.

For this, I applaud those at Dixie Elementary who are working to feed intellectual growth whether or not that child already meets state benchmarks. By taking a seventh grade virtual math class, an 11-year old gifted math student is learning something new instead of getting more practice with 5th grade concepts she mastered long ago. Dixie�s leadership is taking a stance by figuring out what's best for each learner and providing it. This is the type of leadership necessary to close the most important student achievement gap, the gap between their potential and what is asked of them.

Inky, I think that is a fine response.
    Do you know anything about that guy? Do a google search on his name, 'Pentti Teraslinna', I doubt there are very many people with that name.

Yes I like your response Inky!

Well said!

Nice! smile

Might I suggest saying "A lot of experts, such as Inderbir Kaur Sandhu at Cambridge, recommend..." in order to make it clear that it isn't just one random nut who thinks early testing is a good idea?

Feel free to ignore me!

Kriston
    I
    inky Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    Thanks again for the feedback. I incorporated Kriston�s suggestion and sent the letter to the paper.

OHGrandma, it looks like he�s an Emeritus Professor in the College of Education. eek This may be part of the reason I haven�t been able to find any programs or services for gifted children at UK. The nearest programs are an hour and a half north at University of Cincinnati.

Last edited by inky; 12/04/08 07:30 PM.
    Oh, man, that makes it SO much worse! cry

Kriston
    I
    inky Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    The letter to the editor ran in today's paper. You can see it at the end of the web page and it's titled "Value Each Student." No comments or burning bags of poo on our front doorstep...yet.

http://www.kentucky.com/595/story/648917.html

Originally Posted by inky
    The letter to the editor ran in today's paper. You can see it at the end of the web page and it's titled "Value Each Student." No comments or burning bags of poo on our front doorstep...yet.

http://www.kentucky.com/595/story/648917.html

Great letter inky! I especially like your closing: "This is the type of leadership necessary to close the most important student achievement gap, the gap between their potential and what is asked of them."

You go, girl! Nicely done! smile

Kriston
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM