Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 441 guests, and 9 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
    I
    inky Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    This was interesting as it relates to Finland having "no gifted classes."

Unfortunately, The Wall Street Journal notes several times in the article that there are no gifted classes in Finland. This is misleading. There aren't "pull-out" type classes featuring Robin Hood, bugs, Egyptology, the culture of Japan, etc. But according to this report of gifted education in Europe, Finnish parents have the right to enroll their children in school early if they want. Many of the elementary schools are ungraded, which allows children to accelerate.

But here's what I think is the key point, from the WSJ and my other reading: The education culture in Finland is one of excellence and intense individualization. Finnish teachers are expected to customize lessons for students. As the WSJ quotes one education expert saying, "In most countries, education feels like a car factory. In Finland, the teachers are the entrepreneurs." And they are good entrepreneurs. In Finland, teachers are trained extensively. They must have master's degrees, and 40 people apply for every job. They earn about the same as their American counterparts. But, through treating teachers like professionals, and only choosing the best, Finland has managed to get an excellent teaching corps capable of individualizing lessons for slow learners and quick learners alike.

Another note: Finland spends less per student than the U.S. does.

Unfortunately, I worry that people reading the WSJ article and looking to take away ideas for educational improvement in the US will only seize on the "no gifted classes" idea. That would be a shame. In an environment where the teachers are uniformly excellent, where individual lessons are customized and where acceleration is possible, you don't necessarily need specific gifted classes. But I don't see many American education reform efforts combining all these elements yet.

http://giftedexchange.blogspot.com/2008/02/what-makes-finnish-kids-so-smart.html

Thanks, Inky!!

I
    inky Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    As to his assertion that "at this early age IQ and other tests are not valid."

Appropriate Age for IQ Testing
    By Inderbir Kaur Sandhu, Ph.D
    It is generally recommended that IQ testing for gifted children be done between age 5 and 12. Beyond 12, even the moderately gifted child is likely to encounter test ceiling effects. For the highly or profoundly gifted child, ceiling effects are in place on many measures which may begin as young as 8 (including the supplemental Stanford-Binet L-M). Research shows that for the average child, IQ test scores are reliable around age 8.

Exactly!!!!

I
    inky Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    I want to address this last part
    Teaching should concentrate on the slow students and the so called "gifted" could assist the teachers with the slower classmates. The slower students can catch and even surpass the faster students, if given enough time.

How does this sound?

This is in essence saying that we should choose to educate some students and not others. It�s asking a student to do the teacher�s job, a job we require teachers to spend a number of years training for. We need to find ways to support at risk students that don't involve sacrificing another child's learning potential in the process. It is not okay to sacrifice any child's learning potential.

I am shaking my head, but cannot find the words to say how ridiculous this is...

M
    M
    Exactly, Inky. The first sentence in your quote from the original letter is the part that bothered me the most. Not only is one sacrificing the child's learning potential, one is also sacrificing on the altar of one's political agenda the child's chance at having real friendships with others in his or her class. The child who substitutes for/assists in a teaching capacity the teacher is never going to be treated as an equal by the other children.

minnie

To ask a child to go to school to "teach" other children instead of learning themselves, then ask them to assist an adult to perform a job meant for adults is clearly morally reprehensible and abusive.

I wonder if the person who has written the letter has ever read The Jungle by Upton Sinclair.

The assertion that it is okay to put children to work is deeply chilling, to say the least.

Yes, Inky. It sounds very good.

As for education in Finland, heck, I can totally get behind a 100% individualized learning program! Yes, let's do that! (But not at all because of why the letter-writer says to...)

Kriston
    What...why... Okay: though the author of the letter put it all together in one form that sent sparks flying towards the computer of everyone that read this thread today; are we really taken back? I know we have heard all of these arguments before and sadly most from the professionals that teach our kids. (Just pointing out the obvious and besides I was not on earlier to jump in with my comments and I would be duplicating A LOT)

And Master of none: Thank goodness I was not drinking liquid at the time I read your post b/c it would have been all over my laptop. Thank you for your post and especially the famous 3rd grade reference!

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM