Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 417 guests, and 45 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    Yay! Nice work, kcab! laugh

(And your niece, too, of course.) wink

Kriston
    That's the best! Congrats Kcab's niece!

That's great news! Congrats to your niece. It's a nice reminder that we can help encourage these kiddos, even when you think that half the stuff you say gets the standard eyeroll...

I began a math club at dd's school about a month ago. We are participating in Math Olympiad. One good thing about the club is that I have a wonderful variety of 4th grade students (5 girls, 4 boys; 3 caucasians, 2 African-Americans, 2 Hispanics, and 2 Asians). I have been pleasantly surprised at the interest. Over the last month, we have been meeting 3 days a week for an hour after school. Every child has attended math club regularly when transportation is available to them.

I was unpleasantly surprised that their problem solving skills are terrible. These are probably the nine smartest kids in the whole school. They have spent 5 year in public school and have never really been challenged in math. Though they are taught problems solving in school it is generally two-step problem solving and involves a rubric where they check off steps which they are required to follow. IMO that is not problem solving. When these students were presented with four and five step problems they did not know what to do because they could not see the entire problem and solution at one time in their heads.

After a month of math club we took our first test. Eight of the students scored 1 or 2 out of 5. The other is a PG student who is an intuitive problem solver who scored a 4. Though this may sound bad, I was actualy encouraged because most of them actually attempted all the problems. The first time I gave them an individual test, most of them just stared at the paper for 30 minutes not knowing how to start, so I feel like we have made significant progress.

All this to say, I don't think we can change the system but there are tools available for us to make at least local level improvements to help our kids.

Wow! Thanks for sharing that, TS. It's an eye-opener. And it makes me think harder about how I'm teaching DS7...

Hmmm...

Kriston
    Originally Posted by Texas Summer
    I began a math club at dd's school about a month ago. We are participating in Math Olympiad. One good thing about the club is that I have a wonderful variety of 4th grade students (5 girls, 4 boys; 3 caucasians, 2 African-Americans, 2 Hispanics, and 2 Asians). I have been pleasantly surprised at the interest. Over the last month, we have been meeting 3 days a week for an hour after school. Every child has attended math club regularly when transportation is available to them.

I was unpleasantly surprised that their problem solving skills are terrible. These are probably the nine smartest kids in the whole school. They have spent 5 year in public school and have never really been challenged in math. Though they are taught problems solving in school it is generally two-step problem solving and involves a rubric where they check off steps which they are required to follow. IMO that is not problem solving. When these students were presented with four and five step problems they did not know what to do because they could not see the entire problem and solution at one time in their heads.

After a month of math club we took our first test. Eight of the students scored 1 or 2 out of 5. The other is a PG student who is an intuitive problem solver who scored a 4. Though this may sound bad, I was actualy encouraged because most of them actually attempted all the problems. The first time I gave them an individual test, most of them just stared at the paper for 30 minutes not knowing how to start, so I feel like we have made significant progress.

All this to say, I don't think we can change the system but there are tools available for us to make at least local level improvements to help our kids.

Could you post the 5 problems on that test? I'd kind of like to see how GS9 would fare.

Below is a link to sample test on the Math Olympiad website.

http://www.moems.org/sample_files/SampleE.pdf

This isn't the test that my students took, but it is the same type of test.

I believe there are books you can buy to help the students prepare. This is on my list: George Lenchner, Math Olympiad Contest Problems for Elementary and Middle Students

Yes, Art of Problem Solving has a variety of math contest books.

http://www.artofproblemsolving.com/Books/AoPS_B_Texts.php

I just remembered, I wanted to post this link so this thread is a good one to add on.
    Archived problem sets for various math contests *free* *free* *free* Did I mention, grin free grin ?

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM