Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 429 guests, and 36 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    Yes, a single morning is DEFINITELY preferable. Yegads! The ITBS does take up the time. That's the big reason I'm not wild about testing him twice. It really is a big time sink.

I guess I figured that by the time you get to the Explore or the ACT or whatever, then of course you're going to give it to him more than once. That seems okay, especially for an 8yo. It's the ones with a specific grade level that throw me.

Hmmm...Still thinking about this. Maybe I have limited my options unnecessarily...

Kriston
    Z
    Z
    When my child was first grade age I gave him the 2nd grade CAT. I did the out of level testing because I wanted to learn something from the results. A bunch of 90+ %iles would tell me nothing. As it turned out I didn't learn anything of value anyway. That was a surprise. I really expected it to be more challenging for him.

Friends have told me that the CAT is the easiest of the nationally normed tests. Many prefer the IOWA instead. This year we may do the SCAT (out of level for a talent search).

Of course, I don't have to give test results to anyone, so I didn't choose the test/level from that perspective... just for our personal info... YMMV.
    smile
    Kate

It's always good to have that info for educational planning purposes. I haven't had either child take the SCAT, but others here have.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM