Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 429 guests, and 36 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    Parts of our library were off-limits, too. We just went to the county library, so I didn't fight it. But then they started sending home books for homework. When I gently requested via e-mail that harder books be sent home than the ones we were seeing because DS was reading chapter books, our 1st grade teacher responded quite nastily that "There are many good books for this age range that are not chapter books."

"Okay," I thought to myself, "Then send THOSE home. But this See-Spot-run stuff is for the birds!" Shortly after that, DS7 was assigned a book that only had one word that was different on each page! Ugh!

DS7 noticed this immediately--seeing as how he could read and all!--so he rolled his eyes and asked me if he could save time by just reading the first page, last page, and the one different word on the pages in between. We were both so frustrated that I agreed, provided he read another book, too. He happily pulled out a chapter book and read for an hour.

I hate to undermine a teacher like that. It's not my style. I'm absolutely a play-by-the-rules person. But c'mon! cry

That was just about the point at which I realized that the year was never going to improve. She was making a point. Well, point made...

Kriston
    B
    B
    oh Becky - your email brought back what my son went through in his Montessori preschool not long ago....my son SO wanted to do the "advanced Montessori work" that his teacher refused to teach him (even though she said she was very aware he could do it, she was just afraid because he was already so advanced that if she taught him everything he wanted to do at that time, she would have nothing to work with him on if he stayed for kindergarten - absolutely ridiculous and she should have been fired)...so she gave the excuse to my son that he needed to be 5 years old in order to do those activities. For over 6 months he went around saying he couldn't wait to be "5 year old smart" so that he could finally do some "fun" work. This then turned into where he was worried about pulling out his favorite games at home that were marked ages much higher than 4 years old on the boxes - he was afraid he would get in trouble for playing them since he wasn't the "right age". His teacher would also get upset at me in front of him and state that I shouldn't be allowing him to read such advanced books because he is already too far ahead of the other children...I didn't think he had heard her but it turned into an issue because later that week (and for several more weeks) when we went to the bookstore, he very much wanted to get a book he found but he was worried that his teacher would get mad at him for reading it.
    needless to say we are no longer at that school and it has taken about 4-5 months to undo the damage that one teacher did...he now no longer worries about whether or not he is allowed to or old enough to read a certain level or do certain activities...we just talked constantly to him about how different people are able to learn at different levels. I just know exactlty what you are going through!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM