Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 331 guests, and 20 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    B
    BeckyC Offline OP
    OP Offline
    B
    I sent this email to the school:

We would like to express a great concern regarding the book fair and the books that the children are allowed to review. Our daughter went to Brownies today and after the meeting, her and my husband went to the Book Fair to look at the books. He walked with her over to the chapter book section of the book fair to look at those books. At that point, our daughter became nervous/anxious and told my husband that the teacher told the class that they were not allowed to look at those books because "they were too hard for us." Our daughter regularly reads to herself, especially chapter books, for enjoyment at home. Now, after this incident she feels that she is not allowed to read these books. She has also told me that she is afraid to look at the chapter books because she will get in trouble, that no other kids will be looking a them, and then she will have no friends to have fun with at the book fair.

What can be done to undo this?

Last edited by BeckyC; 11/19/08 07:05 PM.
    Do you mean what can you do to unsend the email?

Unfortunately, there's not really much you can do frown

JB

B
    BeckyC Offline OP
    OP Offline
    B
    OH no, I sent the email - to both the teacher, the principal and our the psychologist we are working with. --- I want to know what we can do do undo her feeling that she's going to get in trouble for looking at the chapter books. She's 6 years old and in first grade.

To undo the damage done to your daughter?

Have a talk with the teacher to get on the same page, and then sit down with teacher and DD together to clarify that the teacher misspoke and that your DD is, indeed, allowed to read chapter books, that she will have friends at the book fair, and that it's great that she's a good reader.

Stuff like this makes me so sad! frown

Kriston
    Didn't know if you meant to pull back the email ...

FWIW, DS5, in 1st grade who can read 3rd grade chapter books is also limited to which areas he can browse in the library. I don't like it either, but we're working on the situation.

Good luck.

JB

S
    S-T Offline
    S
    The same thing happened to DS when he was in KA and K. He wasn't allowed to "venture" to the chapter books rows but could only browse in the picture books section. He was equally upset and didn't buy anything. The fair was mended by parents volunteers. As parents are allowed to shop after school, I met DS after school and let him picked whatever he wanted there. I made a comment to the cashier (also a parent volunteer) and also to his home room teacher (I think at the school's corridor another day).

For your case, I would do what Kriston has suggested. Better talk face-to-face with the teacher.

B
    BeckyC Offline OP
    OP Offline
    B
    Originally Posted by JBDad
    FWIW, DS5, in 1st grade who can read 3rd grade chapter books is also limited to which areas he can browse in the library. I don't like it either, but we're working on the situation.

Us too! Our DD kept bringing home these easy reader books on library day. So my DH asked the teacher if she could show her where the chapter books are - like Magic Tree House, etc. The teacher said she would, but that was in Sept.

We requested also to have 2-3rd grade books, at least, be put in her nightly reading bag...we'll see what happens.

B
    BeckyC Offline OP
    OP Offline
    B
    Originally Posted by S-T
    T
    For your case, I would do what Kriston has suggested. Better talk face-to-face with the teacher.

Good plan -- We have met with the teacher and our psychologist only just a few weeks ago. I feel like I'm being ignored....sigh..... The good news is there is another boy in her class at the same level as her and I'm friends with his mom. So we have compared notes and plans of action.

Scary stuff, eh BeckyC?

I guess that stuff like this can't really be 'undone,' but perhaps better would be an update from the teacher, AND, finding her some nice friends (particularly female) who have similar reading levels.

Any luck finding other gifted girls at your state gifted association events?

Best Wishes,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    S
    S-T Offline
    S
    Originally Posted by BeckyC
    Originally Posted by JBDad

Us too! Our DD kept bringing home these easy reader books on library day. So my DH asked the teacher if she could show her where the chapter books are - like Magic Tree House, etc. The teacher said she would, but that was in Sept.

We requested also to have 2-3rd grade books, at least, be put in her nightly reading bag...we'll see what happens.

On the classroom front, DS has been very fortunate to have very understanding teachers for K and Grade 1. He was able to use books at home and books from the library (his choice) for his reading logs rather than using those in the classroom, which were mainly picture books. Once in a while, he would bring back books by Frank Asch just because the bear was so cute!

Parts of our library were off-limits, too. We just went to the county library, so I didn't fight it. But then they started sending home books for homework. When I gently requested via e-mail that harder books be sent home than the ones we were seeing because DS was reading chapter books, our 1st grade teacher responded quite nastily that "There are many good books for this age range that are not chapter books."

"Okay," I thought to myself, "Then send THOSE home. But this See-Spot-run stuff is for the birds!" Shortly after that, DS7 was assigned a book that only had one word that was different on each page! Ugh!

DS7 noticed this immediately--seeing as how he could read and all!--so he rolled his eyes and asked me if he could save time by just reading the first page, last page, and the one different word on the pages in between. We were both so frustrated that I agreed, provided he read another book, too. He happily pulled out a chapter book and read for an hour.

I hate to undermine a teacher like that. It's not my style. I'm absolutely a play-by-the-rules person. But c'mon! cry

That was just about the point at which I realized that the year was never going to improve. She was making a point. Well, point made...

Kriston
    B
    B
    oh Becky - your email brought back what my son went through in his Montessori preschool not long ago....my son SO wanted to do the "advanced Montessori work" that his teacher refused to teach him (even though she said she was very aware he could do it, she was just afraid because he was already so advanced that if she taught him everything he wanted to do at that time, she would have nothing to work with him on if he stayed for kindergarten - absolutely ridiculous and she should have been fired)...so she gave the excuse to my son that he needed to be 5 years old in order to do those activities. For over 6 months he went around saying he couldn't wait to be "5 year old smart" so that he could finally do some "fun" work. This then turned into where he was worried about pulling out his favorite games at home that were marked ages much higher than 4 years old on the boxes - he was afraid he would get in trouble for playing them since he wasn't the "right age". His teacher would also get upset at me in front of him and state that I shouldn't be allowing him to read such advanced books because he is already too far ahead of the other children...I didn't think he had heard her but it turned into an issue because later that week (and for several more weeks) when we went to the bookstore, he very much wanted to get a book he found but he was worried that his teacher would get mad at him for reading it.
    needless to say we are no longer at that school and it has taken about 4-5 months to undo the damage that one teacher did...he now no longer worries about whether or not he is allowed to or old enough to read a certain level or do certain activities...we just talked constantly to him about how different people are able to learn at different levels. I just know exactlty what you are going through!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM