Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 289 guests, and 21 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
    CFK Offline OP
    OP Offline
    This is an interesting study I found while perusing the web. Might be old news to some. A study was conducted by Cambridge University Autism Research Centre. They administered a 50 question survey to students that was designed as a screening tool to identify adults with autistic tendencies. (I attached the survey)

http://aq.server8.org/

The results of the study were very intersting (this from wikipedia but I found the same results on other sites):

In the initial trials of the test,[7] the average score in the control group was 16.4, with men scoring slightly higher than women (about 17 versus about 15). 80% of adults diagnosed with autism spectrum disorders scored 32 or more, compared with only 2% of the control group.

The authors cited a score of 32 or more as indicating "clinically significant levels of autistic traits". However, although the test is popularly used for self-diagnosis of Asperger syndrome, the authors caution that it is not intended to be diagnostic, and advise that anyone who obtains a high score and is suffering some distress should seek professional medical advice before jumping to any conclusions.

A further research paper[5] indicated that the questionnaire could be used for screening in clinical practice, with scores of 26 or lower indicating that a diagnosis of Asperger Syndrome can effectively be ruled out.

The questionnaire was also trialled on Cambridge University students, and a group of sixteen winners of the British Mathematical Olympiad, to determine whether there was a link between a talent for mathematical and scientific disciplines and traits associated with the autism spectrum.

Mathematics, physical sciences and engineering students were found to score significantly higher, e.g. 21.8 on average for mathematicians and 21.4 for computer scientists. The average score for the British Mathematical Olympiad winners was 24.

Of the students who scored 32 or more on the test, eleven agreed to be interviewed and seven of these were reported to meet the DSM-IV criteria for Asperger Syndrome, although no formal diagnosis was made as they were not suffering any distress.

It would be interesting to have your close friends or spouse take the test for you.

It says I should go see a shrink. LOL.

Last edited by Austin; 11/19/08 10:34 AM.
    I score average, but higher than the average man (and I'm a woman). That tracks with my experience.

Kriston
    very interesting. I scored low (i guess i'm a party girl!), but I kept looking at the questions thinking "hmm, my brother is the exact opposite." In reading up on all things gifted, I've been thinking my brother was probably 2e in some ways, and thus never identified as gifted in school, even though he's clearly smart. Although I wouldn't say he's autistic or has AS, he definitely lacks the ability to know when the person he's talking to has lost interest!

Last edited by st pauli girl; 11/19/08 12:59 PM. Reason: trying to be funny
    Hmm...that's doesn't seem like a good score for me (37) but I do have some social anxiety and LOVE math and patterns.

Kriston, you have met me. Should I seek professional help? smile

ETA: The online adult ADD quiz I took at work a few weeks ago also showed a very high score and recommended I seek professional help.

Last edited by crisc; 11/19/08 06:06 PM.

Crisc
    Nah, you seemed perfectly fine to me, crisc. laugh

(Then again, I'd have had a similar score to yours, I suspect, if I were more math-y than I am. So what do I know?)

It's apparently one time when being an English major actually helps me. How unusual! wink

Kriston
    S
    S-T Offline
    S
    LOL! I scored a 25! Must be the social aspect.

Well, I'd still invite all of you to my party (i scored 9). But i guess you probably wouldn't come...

Last edited by st pauli girl; 11/19/08 09:48 PM.
    LOL! Or we'd come, but we'd all stand around awkwardly and not talk to each other.

grin

Kriston
    I'll put out little solitaire-type games and puzzles on all the coffee tables. Then everyone could be happy!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM