Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 271 guests, and 11 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
    Originally Posted by shellymos
    I do answer questions when he asks...which sometimes causes me to have conversations like I did this morning at 7am about prime and composite numbers (before I even drank any coffee). But I don't think it's necessary for me to go above and beyond to teach him more because he already knows sooooo much and he has many more years to learn. kwim?

I do kwym. that is exactly the attitude I took when DS12 was 4. What I feel that I missed was that while it's true that he wasn't in need of learning any particular thing, he was in need of learning how to learn challenging material. OK, at 4 it should only be a teeny challenge, but I want you to have the structure in place so that when he is 7 it can be a bit of a challenge and at 10, a challenge.

I think that with the handwriting, just praiseing the pretty writing when he does it can go a long way. I would encourage having a few 'Handwriting without tears' printing books around the house so that you can say, 'hum, what do 'a, o, d, g and q' all have in common?

(they all start being formed from the letter c)

or, 'hum, are there more letters that start up high, or down at the line?'

(they all start up high)

just to bring some ideas to his awareness.

smiles,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Grinity #30687 11/16/08 10:05 PM
    S
    OP Offline
    S
    I agree. It's interesting, I was just talking with DH about this the other day. My DS typically gravitates towards really easy stuff (to him at least) or really challenging things that he asks for constant help with. He isn't afraid to try new things and is okay if he doesn't excel, but there is often that big gap in his activities which I find interesting. I would like to provide him opportunities to challenge him, while not pushing him too much. We did this the other day when he went on jigzone. I encouraged him to do some harder puzzles since he was just doing the 6 piece classic ones and saying "I am going as fast as autosolve." He tried some harder ones and I was pleasantly surprised at his persistence and how much better he got in a few minutes at doing jigsaw puzzles (oddly he has always struggled with jigsaw puzzles...and it is the only thing that hasn't come easy so it really stuck out to us and surprised us). I want him to learn that not everything comes so easy. He has already learned this some. I do praise his writing when it is good and legible. I don't harp on him when it is messy I just don't say much. But if I can barely read it or he is making something nice for someone and scribbles all over it, I say something about it.

I like your suggestions about the letters and ideas about bringing about more awareness. He will find that interesting. He has always been interested in what's alike and what's different...ever since he was 1 1/2 and mentioned to me that both twinkle twinkle and the ABC's were the "same song" It's developed from there.

Grinity #30688 11/16/08 10:07 PM
    S
    OP Offline
    S
    Originally Posted by Grinity
    You can say "x thought that our children might enjoy each other's company. I'm looking for my son to meet a child who would enjoy the kind of games he likes." That way she might realize that the referal source was thinking gifted.

Much better than my idea of what to say grin

lanfan #30733 11/17/08 10:12 AM
    Originally Posted by lanfan
    Originally Posted by shellymos
    I guess it is possible...but most likely not in our district. I agree it depends on what "reading" entails. But I did go on to tell her that he didn't know a couple of sight words, he was actually reading books. When I hear things like that I often wonder, if there are so many of these kids, where do they hide? And why haven't I met one in real life? Sometimes I feel like I am chasing a sasquatch. Never met one, but I hear rumors of them and hear there has been 'sightings'

LOL!!!

My goodness if they are soooo experienced with all of these throngs pg kids then they should have an absolutely fabulous program set up for them. wink

When I first heard this from my school (i.e. we have lots of kids like yours) I was so relieved, until I realized that they really did not have a clue what they were talking about.

It would just be so nice to hear - "wow, your kid is really unique - perhaps we should sit down together and figure out what would be best for her" ---ahh... dreamland.

CFK #30803 11/17/08 10:40 PM
    We always expected our children to do well in school, and to be in gifted programs (were they provided.) Before DS (our oldest) began kindergarten, we moved to a school district that didn't have a gifted program, but was in a college town. We figured that if the population was filled with professors and others who valued education, all would be well. We purchased a home in the district about five months before kindergarten. We hadn't enrolled DS in preschool - we just participated in a coop with some friends. Of course, whenever the kids were with me, they learned more (fun) academics, whereas when they were with the other moms, they mostly enjoyed a large playdate.

Anyway, once we moved, I set an appointment with the principal of the elementary school where our children would attend. Our intent was for me to explain who this special child was and to enlist his help in placing DS with the kindergarten teacher that could best serve him. I took some of his art work, told some stories, showed him some of the "books" DS had written, etc. The pricipal was quite supportive - which only after the fact did I realize was not as common as one might necessarily hope.

I think that sitting down with the principal to enlist his help, to explain who this child was, and to express how we wanted to partner in the education process was beneficial.

Good luck! And consider yourself lucky to have found support now. smile I was in tears last night when I found this forum and other info on PG kids. DS is now 13 and DD is 10. Looking forward to exhanging ideas and support! smile

smile
    Mom of The Future
    Of course, I suspect that approach might have totally turned off some principals, too. "You won't believe the meeting I just had, and her kid isn't even in school yet" sort of response. frown

I think you are probably a skillful advocate with a wise and supportive principal. smile

Kriston
    Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...