Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 288 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
    acs Offline
    Many districts in our state stuggle with meeting the needs of children with physical and developmental disabilites. Many are not able to provide the level of services that are recommended/needed for those children. This is especially the case for children in rural districts where therapists may have to travel several hours to get to the school for one child.

Val Offline
    Originally Posted by acs
    Many districts in our state stuggle with meeting the needs of children with physical and developmental disabilites. Many are not able to provide the level of services that are recommended/needed for those children. This is especially the case for children in rural districts where therapists may have to travel several hours to get to the school for one child.

Yes, that's true. But at least there's an infrastructure for them. They have certain rights in the system that GT and other kids don't have. This is what I don't like.

Spending on special education is also way out of proportion, too (check here) . Look at table 3. Spending on special ed. is out of proportion to student numbers. Spending on gifted ed. isn't even mentioned in the paper but is very, very low in comparison.

Val

Agreed, Dottie. I don't like that sort of positioning either.

My whole point was that I think services are needed for the developmentally disabled, and I admire and wish to emulate the grassroots movement that those parents spearheaded that made inroads toward getting those services. I was NEVER comparing needs. I think services for BOTH tails of the Bell curve are needed.

I'd like to take a page from their book, since, as Val notes, there are at least some protections afforded to developmentally disabled kids. Our kids have no such rights.

Kriston
    acs Offline
    Originally Posted by Kriston
    I think services for BOTH tails of the Bell curve are needed.

And the middle too, I hope grin

Val Offline
    Originally Posted by Dottie
    I don't believe there is anything to be gained in comparing the needs of the gifted to the needs of the disabled, and that can only cause hurt feelings from those who have lived those struggles. It's nice when we can commiserate on the common ground though.

I don't want anyone to think I was making comparisons in this way. I was only pointing out spending disparities. I've also said before that I think the system as a whole needs to be addressed.

I agree with others who've said that if a lot of personal attention can be given to kids with disabilities, it can be given to other kids as well.

Val

Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM