Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 271 guests, and 11 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
    L
    L

Well,,,,it is possible. Is anyone else a little skeptical of this claim?

Yes I am skeptical! If they do great then we shouldn't have any problems confused When I was trying to find my way through these topics and understand her WISC results the GT coordinator looked at one of her scores in the 99.6% and said, "Oh we have lots of kids with scores like that here!" Really....lots! I suppose it is possible but still.

lanfan #30201 11/12/08 11:22 AM
    S
    OP Offline
    S
    I guess it is possible...but most likely not in our district. I agree it depends on what "reading" entails. But I did go on to tell her that he didn't know a couple of sight words, he was actually reading books. When I hear things like that I often wonder, if there are so many of these kids, where do they hide? And why haven't I met one in real life? Sometimes I feel like I am chasing a sasquatch. Never met one, but I hear rumors of them and hear there has been 'sightings'

L
    L
    Originally Posted by shellymos
    I guess it is possible...but most likely not in our district. I agree it depends on what "reading" entails. But I did go on to tell her that he didn't know a couple of sight words, he was actually reading books. When I hear things like that I often wonder, if there are so many of these kids, where do they hide? And why haven't I met one in real life? Sometimes I feel like I am chasing a sasquatch. Never met one, but I hear rumors of them and hear there has been 'sightings'

LOL!!!

lanfan #30203 11/12/08 11:24 AM
    S
    OP Offline
    S
    Originally Posted by lanfan
    the GT coordinator looked at one of her scores in the 99.6% and said, "Oh we have lots of kids with scores like that here!" Really....lots! I suppose it is possible but still.

That would surely make me want to respond "lots as in .4% of your students?"

Dottie #30211 11/12/08 11:52 AM
    L
    L

But *I* do see 18 level scores "all the time", wink . I expect our GIEP team players see quite a few reports come through with an 18 here or there quite often as well. I watched one kid get the "Not-GT" stamp with TWO scores at that 99.6th, crazy . But having actual index scores at that level have got to be pretty rare. [/quote]

That is exactly why all of this can get so confusing. Is she GT, what does that really mean, does she actually need any special curriculum. My thinking changes from day to day crazy

Dottie #30214 11/12/08 12:00 PM
    L
    L
    thank you so much for the pat on the back!! it is very reassuring. i'm sure you're right.

lanfan #30223 11/12/08 12:53 PM
    The land of many GT kids! That sounds like where I live!

Are Ianfan and I neighbors? wink

Dottie #30225 11/12/08 01:03 PM
    S
    OP Offline
    S
    Originally Posted by Dottie
    You do have to be careful here Shelly, as there are definitely "pockets" of higher scores, and schools really can have 10 or even 20% of their kids landing in those top few percentiles, depending on the local demographics.

See, that would just prove all the more that I am not gifted if I did make that comment, LOL. Not that there needs to be more proof. I do realize that depending on locations there are more or less GT students. What exactly are 18 level scores?

And I swear I live in the land of no gifted children. I have met two children at our school that are mildly gifted, and some clients that I have worked with in therapy that were dual diagnosed. That's it. I consulted with a psychologist in our area that is very well known in working with gifted children. She told me that my son really needs to meet someone like him, or at least someone gifted. So I guess for now I just wait until I run into someone. And then I pounce on them and insist on a playdate, LOL. That's how it works, right?

Originally Posted by shellymos
    I consulted with a psychologist in our area that is very well known in working with gifted children. She told me that my son really needs to meet someone like him, or at least someone gifted. So I guess for now I just wait until I run into someone. And then I pounce on them and insist on a playdate, LOL. That's how it works, right?

Pouncing works sometimes, but I would also call/email that psychologist and ask if she has any client parents of similar kids who would be willing to talk to you.

L
    L
    Originally Posted by incogneato
    The land of many GT kids! That sounds like where I live!

Are Ianfan and I neighbors? wink

Oh that would be nice!!! I could really use a soulmate some days cry

Shelly,

We would play with you if you lived nearby! I'm sure you'll find someone. Try lurking around the local University, find the playground nearest to where all the Professors live grin

Last edited by lanfan; 11/12/08 01:16 PM.
    Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM