Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 246 guests, and 19 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
    #29803 11/07/08 11:51 AM
    L
    lanfan Offline OP
    OP Offline
    L
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/27573965/

Very cute video follow up on a child who can read English and Spanish at 2. What I thought was hysterical is that the child is putting together a large jigsaw puzzle during the entire interview and nobody mentions it. She clearly has verbal AND spatial gifts!! Kids are truly amazing.

Wow, this child is so gifted! This is exactly what my DD5 was doing at this age (my daughters reading was a bit more extentive and her voice was clearer, but along the same lines), it's amazing to see another child doing the same thing. It's not because of the sign language, it may be she has a photographic memory like my daughter, so they memorize everything put in front of them and have an amazing understanding of phonics, math, and just a endless interest for knowledge.

That is so cool! She really is amazing and it's so great she has parents who are uniquely geared towards nurturing that ability! You're right, the puzzle work is pretty impressive as well. Also, it's amazing how she so easily transitions over to reading; boy, my ds would still be disgruntled if you tried to drag him away from a puzzle even at the age of 8.

I noticed she is saying a more english 'H' when she pronounces Hola, so they'll have to work on that spanish accent wink

Oh, it's Elizabeth Barrett! We had a good discussion here at GI back when she was in the media spotlight as the 17 month old "reading baby". Some people were very nasty about the whole thing- even on boards like this designed for parents of gifted kids.

Thanks for the link, lanfan. I think she's a cool kid and it's nice to see what she's doing currently.

Last edited by Lorel; 11/09/08 08:57 AM. Reason: typo
    I don't think I was one of the nasty ones (I hope not! frown ), but I recall being skeptical because of the press the family attracted. My big question with publicity surrounding a PG child is always "What are your reasons for putting your child in the news? Why are you publicizing the child in this way? How is this good for your child?" Too often in such cases, there's no good answer.

The reason the family offers for going public--to meet other PG kids and their families--makes sense. (It wouldn't be the approach I'd use, certainly, but at least it's a reason I can understand and support.) They do seem to be working for the good of their child. As long as that's what's happening, I have no criticisms to offer.

I think this is a better portrait of the child than we got before. It seems like the interviewer was pretty sympathetic/supportive. That helps.

Kriston
    Originally Posted by Lore
    Oh, it's Elizabeth Barrett! We had a good discussion here at GI back when she was in the media spotlight as the 17 month old "reading baby". Some people were very nasty about the whole thing- even on boards like this designed for parents of gifted kids.

I just found that thread on Elizabeth Barrett and re-read it. It was 2 pages and I didn't see anything but pleasant and supportive comments.

I do remember another post that I think was started by Ania about a boy whose father had a website devoted to him, was that the thread to which you were referring?

Oh, I see. That makes sense, I was reading it wrong. But we did get have some very differing opinions about a brilliant young man on this board awhile ago.

I have a personal thought that it's unwise to share so much personal info about a child in this day and age.

I can be blunt, be never intended to be unkind.

L
    lanfan Offline OP
    OP Offline
    L
    I must admit I was grabbed by the headline and got a kick out of the kid without even thinking about the fact that I was one out hundreds of thousands of people watching the video. It does give the whole thing a kind of circus freak feeling. I still think she's cute though.

Yes, I was leery of even watching the video but once I did I thought well she is pretty darn cute! and obviously highly intelligent. They kept it short and sweet.

Originally Posted by Kriston
    My big question with publicity surrounding a PG child is always "What are your reasons for putting your child in the news? Why are you publicizing the child in this way? How is this good for your child?" Too often in such cases, there's no good answer.

The reason the family offers for going public--to meet other PG kids and their families--makes sense. (It wouldn't be the approach I'd use, certainly, but at least it's a reason I can understand and support.) They do seem to be working for the good of their child. As long as that's what's happening, I have no criticisms to offer.

I think this is a better portrait of the child than we got before. It seems like the interviewer was pretty sympathetic/supportive. That helps.

I am more skeptical than before. I don't understand why they would put her on the TV again. I don't think the reasons they used for doing so last time can be applied to this interview.

Like others said the not so good comments were on other sites not here.

LMom
    Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs