Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 231 guests, and 15 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    Lorel Offline OP
    OP Offline
    http://sengifted.org/

James Webb coauthored "Misdiagnosis and Dual Diagnosis". The cost is just $40.

Thanks Lorel!

I was going to post this myself. I'm glad to see that someone else thought to do it in advance. The web broadcast is tonight, for those of you who are interested.

Thursday November 20
    8:30PM Eastern Time (5:30PM Pacific)

Common Misdiagnoses and Dual Diagnoses of Gifted Children and Adults: What Parents, Educators and Psychologists Need to Know

Because they lack training, mental health professionals are misdiagnosing gifted and talented children and adults as having mental disorders. The characteristics of gifted/talented children and adults - particularly if not understood at school, home, or work - often are mistaken for significant behavioral or emotional problems that can be misdiagnosed as Attention-Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder, Oppositional Defiant Disorder, Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder, Conduct Disorder, or Bi-Polar Disorder... Parents and educators, therefore, must become more informed about these issues.

However, for other children and adults, their giftedness is related, but often overlooked, for diagnoses that are accurate such as Existential Depression, Bi-Polar, Obsessive-Compulsive Personality Disorder, Sleep Disorders or Multiple Personality Disorder. That is, these children and adults do indeed have dual diagnoses - giftedness and some disorder. It is important that the aspects related to giftedness not be overlooked or misunderstood by professionals.

This session provides information to help parents, educators, and health care professionals understand how they can differentiate gifted behaviors from behavioral pathology. Dr. Webb will describe commonalities and contrasts between the characteristics of gifted children and adults and the behaviors described in the DSM-IV that are used by mental health professionals to make differential diagnoses. In addition, Dr. Webb will discuss dual diagnoses and how treatment approaches with gifted children and adults often need to be modified. Sign Up Today!

Mom to DS12 and DD3
    Q
    Q
    See you there!

Lorel Offline OP
    OP Offline
    So how was it?

Q
    Q
    I thought it was excellent. I had read his book and it was interesting to hear his take on the overdiagnosis issue. There really wasn't time for questions. Participants will get copies of the slides, but it would have been helpful to have a copy of the transcript, too. There were a number of books recommended. I'll see if I can find them in my notes:

Here are some of the things I heard:

25 yrs. ago there were 25 DSM IV diagnoses, now 300. Society is less tolerant of quirkiness; don't need a label for what is really a quirk. More highly gifted, more quirks.

To make a diagnosis, need to look at the level of impairment and the situation.

His take on meds: very concerned about amount of meds handed out; also trying to see if meds improve the behavior is not good idea b/c they'd improve a large percentage of the general population's behavior. Like having a cup of coffee in the morning.

ADHD most common misdiagnosis of GT kids and adults

GT kids have longer attention span and persistence in what they're interested in, not necessarily what you're interested in.

Talked about Dubrowski's over-exciteabilties - intensity of feelings most overlooked characteristic of GT

Handwriting often poor b/c thoughts go too fast to write and don't see the reason for handwriting

Living with Intensity - Dr. Susan Daniels

Look on SENG website resources for Sharon Lind on Over-Excitabilities

Interesting discussion about reactive hypoglycemia and how diet high in protein, no refined sugar and moderate carbs with a high protein mid-morning and mid-afternoon snack can help (kids who crash 1-1.5 hours after eating) - 5-7% of HG population

a book by Irving Yalom on existensial depression

Smart Boys by Dr. Barbara Kerr

Also mentioned Smart Girls by ?

all sorts of books on parenting by Sylvia Rimm, particularly How to Parent So Children will Learn

I have more notes, but I doubt they'd appreciate my posting everything. It was just a good start to put things in context as we continue to circle around the does he or doesn't he have ADD inattentive variety question. It makes it clear that you can't really know just based on teacher comments, as the environment can cause the behaviors, too. He also mentioned that a child who does not listen to the teachers but can sit and read for 1.5 hours probably doesn't have ADD. Interesting.

Most important reminder to me: GT kids will be GT adults and all of these behaviors will continue; they'll have to learn how to manage their behaviors themselves.

Also wanted to add the book is Misdiagnosis and Dual Diagnosis of Gifted Children and Adults, by Webb, Amend, Webb, Goerss, Beljan, and Olenchak. 50% of proceeds go to support SENG. SENG, itself, is also a great resource.

Last edited by questions; 11/21/08 09:59 AM. Reason: Added Book title and SENG
    Smart Girls is also by Barbara Kerr. She was my camp counselor back when I was in high school! Love her! smile

The diet issue is a good one to note. My kids and I are all in that 5-7%, I suspect.

Thanks so much for the summary! You rock, Questions! laugh

Kriston
    Lorel Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I had read about reactive hypoglycemia and the HG plus correlation before, but don't think I'd heard that percentage- that's pretty significant. I have diagnosed hypoglycemia, and my blood sugar tends to drop incredibly fast at times. I once had a half of a natural soda (about 15 grams of sugar, I think) with a sandwich at lunch, and was literally lying on the floor like I was completely wiped out about half an hour later. I'd tested myself a few minutes after eating, and my sugar went down 40 points in that short a time span.

One of my daughters has reactive hypoglycemia symptoms, but her sugar levels test as borderline for the condition. One of the best things we've found for her to eat is Kim and Scott's all natural soft pretzels. They're made with high protein flour, so each has 9 grams of protein. And they taste great!

That sounds like a great seminar. I was at a Boy Scout award ceremony, so had to miss it. frown

Last edited by Lorel; 11/21/08 01:57 PM. Reason: typo
    Ooh, Lorel! I love that pretzel idea for when we're on the go! That's a lot more portable than cheese and a lot more sensitive to those with allergies than peanut butter, my usual go-to protein snacks.

Thanks!

Kriston
    Q
    Q
    Well, since you liked my notes, here are some more tidbits.

I believe he said that rapid cycling pediatric bi-polar disorder is the fad diagnosis de jour. Said it wasn't in the DSM. Didn't take many notes here.

Eeyore is an example of dysthymic disorder depression.

LD's are often overlooked b/c of GT

Talked a lot re: differences b/n auditory-sequential and visual-spatial learners and pointed out that they often marry each other. smile

Mentioned Linda Silverman's name re: study of asynchronous development

In this regard, "judgment lags behind intellect."

GT kids may be more prone to ADHD; GT brains develop differently

consider the appropriate educational placement of the child - likely to be off-task if inappropriately placed.

Kids with ADHD or Asperger's tend to be the same way across the board - at school, home, the playground.

HG kids more likely to have allergies and asthma.

Interesting comment re: existensial depression - "feel like an alien waiting for the alien ship to come and get him" Once in it, can't get out of it. This was where he mentioned Irving Yalom.

Also said there's nothing wrong with second opinions. Happens in medicine, nothing wrong with it in psychology.

Originally Posted by questions
    Kids with ADHD or Asperger's tend to be the same way across the board - at school, home, the playground.

I think this is a biggie. I have a friend with an HG kid who has "issues," and the school kept wanting to put him on the autism spectrum. But he only showed the signs W-F, when he was short on sleep and bored from the long week. After a restful and challenging Saturday, he was fine for a few days. Then it recurred on Wednesday again.

"You can't have AS 3 days a week," his mom said, wisely.

Just as you probably don't have ADD if you can sit for a couple of hours reading a book. Something is going on, certainly, but it's not THAT something!

Thanks, Questions! smile

Kriston
    Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM