Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 351 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #2862 07/23/07 03:29 PM
    D
    delbows Offline OP
    OP Offline
    D
    CYM asked about different resources and summer programs.

I thought I would move the summer program posting to a separate thread so that I can find and reference everyone�s input more easily next spring.

Our summer plans began the last week of May when our 10 yo son attended Aviation Challenge at the U.S. Space and Rocket Center in Huntsville, AL. This is an educational program, although not academic. In addition to flight training, the kids learn leadership skills.

He loved it, but got really homesick. Luckily we were camping at the Space Center, so we met him for lunch twice during the week. We also saw his squadron as they practiced escape and evasion near our campsite one evening.

http://www.spacecamp.com/category.php?cat=Aviation

Last Friday, he and my husband returned from Iowa where my son attended the Belin- Blank CHESS program for two weeks. He met other highly gifted children who share the same interests. He attended the Advanced Math and Leadership classes. He considered both fun and challenging and found the teachers extremely personable and engaging.

http://www.education.uiowa.edu/belinblank/summer/programs/3-6/chess/ic_session_2/

Our daughter applied and was accepted into a four week enrichment class for academically able 7th grade students at the preparatory (boys) high school which my son hopes to attend. She studied algebra and chemistry with 19 other students (per class). She received two weeks instruction with the graphing calculator and participated in countless lab experiments. She absolutely enjoyed this opportunity and never complained in the least about four weeks of summer school!

In addition, they participated in their first summer of swim team. Swim practice at the outdoor pool began every morning at 7am since June 1st. Both were selected for the conference meet which was held this past weekend. They each did very well, especially against more seasoned competitive swimmers. My son placed well enough over-all in one event to qualify for the next level competition in two weeks, so the early morning swim practices continue for us a little longer.

Our summer, so far, has been busy yet rewarding. Hope you all are enjoying your summer plans also!

D
    delbows Offline OP
    OP Offline
    D

I am really interested in this program for next year. Two weeks are more appealing to my kids than three weeks or longer right now.

SUMMER CAMP FOR ACADEMICALLY TALENTED MIDDLE SCHOOL STUDENTS (SCATS)

http://www.wku.edu/gifted/scats.html

Ania and cym,

This program may appeal to your sons due to the ACT and SAT required scores.

SUMMER PROGRAM FOR VERBALLY AND MATHEMATICALLY PRECOCIOUS YOUTH (VAMPY)

http://www.wku.edu/gifted/vampy.html#application

Both of these programs are held at the Western Kentucky University campus which is located seventy miles north of Nashville.

Does anyone have experience of knowledge of these programs? Thanks in advance.

C
    cym Offline
    C
    Those wku programs sound very cool from the websites. I don't have experience with them except my almost 13 yr old is really enjoying the Duke TIP at Duke East Campus (Duke TIP is affiliated with the VAMPY; I think they design the courses, syllabi, etc. From the website, VAMPY is better value--read Cost--and more intimate--read smaller group, because the website says 180 kids and East campus has 320). I like lower cost and smaller. My son reports it's very challenging but very good.

My 11 yr old son just returned from a 12 day wilderness expedition in NW New Mexico through www.cottonwoodgulch.org. He was with 10-13 yr olds from all over the country hiking and learning about archaeology (Chaco Canyon), geology, and ecology. They went to the Navajo trading post and learned about their crafts (some died yarn, some silversmithing, etc.) He came back so excited about it and with a wealth of information and new friends. They have different programs for different age groups.

D
    delbows Offline OP
    OP Offline
    D
    My son tells me he wants to attend this camp next.

http://web.mac.com/camphalfblood/iWeb/Camphalf-blood.com/Camp%20Home.html

I think the Cottonwood Gulch family expedition sounds great also.

R
    R
    I am beginning my search for a summer program for next year. Does anyone have experience with SIG, Summer Institute for the Gifted?

Yup, my son attended the day camp for two summers, age 9 and 10. Were you interested in the day or the overnight camp?
    Trin

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    R
    R
    I am considering the overnight. My daughter is 10 also. She has attended a local day camp for gifted youth for three years, but she didn't enjoy it this year. I think that it was not challenging enough. I am also considering John Hopkins, and have just begun my search.

Rose,

I'm so glad you found us.

I would guess that SIG and JHU-CTY aim toward the same level of giftedness, but SIG offers lots and lots more in terms of sports and artsy stuff. CTY can be loaded up with unenthusiastic kids who are there because their parents are looking to create a college resume.

Side Issue: (Not that there is anything wrong with that - as they say on Sienfeld - but it can be a fun-damper for your "burn to learn" kid.) I also suggest that we look deeper. Some of these kids who say "My parents made me come," may be Gifted Underachievers who are used to needing an excuse to be interested in academic things, so that they can survive their schools. Some may be Gifted Underachievers who have truly forgotten that they once enjoyed learning, and their parents are hoping to rekindle that love. Some may be there for all the wrong reasons, and "fall in love" with learning, against their will. Still your main concern is, will my child enjoy the other children? Will she get a chance to be with kids who are "like her?"

But the main question, in my mind, is: Are you comfortable with your idea of her level of giftedness?

When I look at level of giftedness, I think of three things -

1) How did she do compared to other gifted kids in the Talent Search tests? If it's more than a Standard Deviation above her peers, you have to think hard about level of giftedness. On individualized IQ tests, did the child get many 17,18,19s on subtests that correlate with intellectual skills?

2) How does she compare to other gifted kids as far as early milestones, as in Ruf's Losing Our Minds, Gifted Children left behind. Does her testing agree with your gut level assessment of her level? When you get around other same-age kids who are labeled Gifted, do you scratch you head because you expected them to be "smarter?" Ruf Level III and up, some thoughtfulness is needed.

3) 2E issues, underachievement issues, needing to fit in issues. These are harder to sum up in a single sentence, but post more and get some Mom feedback, or talk to your "team."

If you know all this, then, you know pretty well how the program is going to fit your child. People tend to be very grumpy about this, and get all tangled up in what should be. I recommend just looking at "what is."

Best Wishes,
    Trinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM