Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 203 guests, and 15 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    Originally Posted by CFK
    Okay, I'm way too lazy to read back through 6 pages of posts so could someone please tell me what WYSIWIG stands for? I can't for the life of me figure that one out!

It's a term of computer geek origin. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WYSIWYG It's pronounced "wizzy-wig".

Now you know way more than you wanted to on the topic blush

acs Offline
    I must be old (and not techy) because I am quite familiar with Flip Wilson's Geraldine's use to the phrase, but never had any idea that WYSIWYG was computer term.

Ah... so maybe it didn't originate with the computer geeks. They just adopted it smile

acs Offline
    And certainly not "spam"

Kriston Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Okay, now I'm thinking Monty Python again...

(Spam spam spam spam, spam spam spam spam...)

Kriston
    E
    E
    All I can say is that I am truly thankful for this board. Without it I'd be going even more crazy and have more bald spots from pulling out my hair.

Here is what I don't understand........ If you have a "regular" child who does well in school, it's ok to talk about.

If you attach the gifted label, it's like they have the plague or something. I've made the decision to be honest about my DS and if people never talk to me again, so be it. I will not boast but if asked a question, i'll answer it.

I can't believe that people are so threatened by these kids! They should be celebrated! Instead the general population worships people who can throw a ball or hit a home run. It's no wonder the U.S. is losing out to other countries.

By putting your head in the sand aren't you somehow telling your DS or DD that there is something wrong with them?

Shari
    Mom to DS 10, DS 11, DS 13
    Ability doesn't make us, Choices do!
    Kriston Offline OP
    OP Offline
    That's my take, too, Shari.

I'd rather be honest and lose people immediately than to pretend our family is something it isn't, think we have friends, and find out down the road that it simply isn't real friendship.

Kriston
    My DS5 is (brutally) honest when people ask him questions.

He keeps getting the, "So how is 2nd grade going?" question. Is it curiosity? Fishing for dirt? I don't know, but I had to stifle a laugh when he said it was going ok and the lady said, "So, they're keeping you busy then." He replied, "Actually, it's kind of easy." She looked surprised and then said that it would get harder in January. DS said, "January!?" in an exasperated voice. crazy

S
    S
    Originally Posted by BWBShari
    Here is what I don't understand........ If you have a "regular" child who does well in school, it's ok to talk about. If you attach the gifted label, it's like they have the plague or something.

I have no idea if I did that quote box right....but I gave it a shot. Anyow, people are selfish. And for some reason if we say anything about our child that is positive, they think that is a reflection on their child. It is literally crazy. It's all about insecurity and competition. It's so sad. When someone tells me their child is good at something, I am proud of them...that's great! I don't think to myself "are they suggesting that my child isn't as good as their child in that area?" How absurd. I have found that people that are secure about themself, and/or people that don't have children or have children that are grown are much more interested to hear about my son and respond so much more positively. I too have vowed not to hide who he is (plus I don't think I could even if I tried, LOL). But there are certain people that I feel more comfortable talking with and those that I only answer minimal questions. Because I don't like getting comments from people like "you know he is just a kid and you should really play with him" Are they serious? All we do is play all the time, it's not like I do flashcards with the kid. Half the time he runs around playing, and half the time he is reading something or learning something. He is a very playful, silly little kid. That's just what he does, and who he is.

Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by indigo - 04/30/24 12:27 AM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM