Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 333 guests, and 19 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    M
    M
    I'm sure I'd like all of you... I think I was ENTJ...so there is something to that MBTI stuff... Thanks KCAB for the congrats!

Last edited by momx2; 10/21/08 05:56 PM.
    LOL - I thought that folks with the Introvert Preference were all 'what you see is less than 5% of what's going on in here' - not exactly WYSIWYG.

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    M
    M
    Maybe only the INTJs are posting... Does seem like a disconnect...

congrats momx2! wonderful news.

I'm here to say that there's at least one ENTP who is a little too blunt in life, and gets along better with the guys. One woman friend thought I was mean when she first met me, then she found that I was just honest and perhaps a bit too sarcastic... And I shop like a guy - in and out as quickly as possible.

And I am very grateful for this site, so I can feel like a normal person discussing concerns about my child (which i have to stifle most of the time IRL, although I do luckily have quite a few friends/relatives as support as well).

Kriston Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Originally Posted by Grinity
    LOL - I thought that folks with the Introvert Preference were all 'what you see is less than 5% of what's going on in here' - not exactly WYSIWYG.

LOL! I can't speak for all introverts, of course, but remember that we INTJ-ers are Spock. The fact is, there's not a whole lot going on in here that isn't also going on out there.

When there is something that we absolutely have to hold in, we still cock one eyebrow quite noticeably and say, "Fascinating." We can't help ourselves.

grin

And no worries, kcab. I think you and I would get along famously. We just agree way too often to be anything but good buddies. wink But I totally get your "fur rubbed the wrong way" analogy. You're right. I see it happen. I've just accepted that I am *not* an acquired taste: you either get me or you don't, and it's okay either way.

And Lorel:

Originally Posted by Lorel
    Kriston-
    You are very honest and open and genuine, and I like that in a friend! I can't imagine who wouldn't enjoy your company.

Gosh! You're just nice. blush You made my whole week. Thanks!

(But really, trust me, there are plenty of people with fur rubbed all kinds of wrong by me!!!)

Kriston
    I have learned to keep my mouth shut the hard way.

I talk about it with some family members, most of the people in my and my husbands family are either GT or special ed....or both....lol

So they all sort of get it, although, if my sister in law say to me one more time"I am glad I'm not in you shoes" I might hit her in the head with a shoe! Her kids are both gifted, she is rowing in a river in Eygpt- "de-nile!" I have mentioned this to her a few times and she just says,"No he's just in to stuff." The older boy is 10 and last year built his own computer from extra parts they had laying around the house... yeah, into stuff.

But we found a friend on-line that lives in our area and it has turned out great! our DS7 and there DS7 are like frick and frack! I just wish they went to the same school. So we are now friendly with them.

Otherwise I smile and wave like the penguines from "Madagasgar"

Last edited by ienjoysoup; 10/22/08 06:45 AM. Reason: fixed
    Congrats momx2!

At least our immediate family doesn't freak about how smart and talented the kids are. Education is highly valued in our families, so anything that supports education is *GOOD*.

We've found a really supportive school environment. Don't know what we'll do after grade 8 though...

But socially, man-oh-man. People acknowledge how bright DD is and what a good artist she is. So I smile politely and say "thanks." Then there's that awkward silence. I try to compliment them on their child. It always feels forced.

S
    S
    Wow, how true that is. I have always felt this way and have talked about it with DH and my parents. Even at a young age I couldn't say anything about my child to most of my friends and others around us because of their reactions. I was truly not bragging, and at first I didn't know things were out of the norm so I thought I was just commenting on normal stuff. I just wanted to talk about my child like they could. Then people stopped talking to me about their children and when I would praise them for their children's accomplishments they would act as if I was condescending. They would respond with "well he's not reading yet like your DS" It was really hurtful.

I used to be afraid that my DS would talk in front of his peers and their parents would feel bad...I still feel like this at times, but not so much because everyone knows he is different. But when he writes notes to other 4 yo's in church and they don't write back he doesn't understand why sometimes. When he was 1-2yo and we would go to stores he would read signs, and I would always pray that no one would ask his age (he always looked older so people at least thought he was 3 when he was not quite 2 yet). It's one thing to have a child that is bright, that is generally acceptable (although I guess some people wouldn't like that either). But having a child that is highly/exceptionally gifted doesn't seem very acceptable to me. So now I don't say too much, which makes me sad. My DS tells the funniest stories and says hilarious stuff...but I write it down and maybe some day I will share it in a book. I am grateful for forums like this because it has been the only way to really share stuff about my DS and get support without feeling uncomfortable or like I am bragging.

Originally Posted by CFK
    Okay, I'm way too lazy to read back through 6 pages of posts so could someone please tell me what WYSIWIG stands for? I can't for the life of me figure that one out!

If you meant WYSIWYG ... What You See Is What You Get..
    If you did mean WYSIWIG then i have no idea.

Kriston Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Originally Posted by CFK
    Okay, I'm way too lazy to read back through 6 pages of posts so could someone please tell me what WYSIWIG stands for? I can't for the life of me figure that one out!

No, that's not my real hair? grin

Kriston
    Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by indigo - 04/30/24 12:27 AM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM