Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 368 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
    Aw, thanks, ENW! I don't know that it's true, but it's nice of you to say. (I do talk out of my hat as often as not, I'm afraid!)

blush

Kriston
    Mewzard Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Originally Posted by EastnWest
    To clarify, the period of possible depression was after the bad preschool experience right? Things are not as bad this time? (Or is it hard to say if he turning his frustration inward and shutting down.)

We cross posted again! You're going with advocacy!

Yes it was at/after Pre-school. The thing about was that we didn't realise how bad he felt until it was really bad. He kept saying he was fine, and then ... complete refusal to go to school. So every time he says something like 'i just want to stay home and play cars' or similar i start freaking out that i'm missing something major.
    I would happily homeschool him, but i want to give school a proper chance. I feel like i'm doing most of his mental work anyway...

The book fair was ok, we got to go in their class for 45 mins, during thier 'free play time'. DS made a rocket then played on the pc with his 2 friends. He seemed quite happy.

Kriston your 2 cents was really helpful! Actually everyones has been really helpful.

Last edited by Mewzard; 10/17/08 06:36 AM.
    Wow.

I am in the uk too.

My ds was also into Thomas, then movie cars. He is also SERIOUSLY into lego, big time from age two. During each phase he totally absorbs himself in it.

He is also heavily into maths and numbers. The day before yesterday he was extremely happy because the headline in a national paper was two trillion pounds written in figures.

He does multiplication and division in his head and is very excited because i have just shown him the sign for infinity( I am definetely not a g+t mum!) He too fits level three with some level four and I was doubting it because of the motivation issue so I find this post reassuring. He has just started reception and we are already having serious trouble.

Where in the uk are you?

Mewzard Offline OP
    OP Offline
    hi!
    we are in Southern England, how about you? Ds also likes BIG numbers; i wish we bought the papers! He would have loved that!

Ds can do some x and / in his head, 2x5,3x4,12/3, etc. He wants a times table poster...we are still thinking about this - i dont want him to memorize the poster and not understand the concept (though i know he does).

Sorry to hear your son is having trouble, has the school regcognised his ability yet?

Yes and no.

I think that the teacher has no idea what to do with him. He is very wilful, loud and outspoken and has been rude to her. It is a very bad personality clash.

He is very fond of word play and rhymmes and makes up funny and rude alternatives to answers and names, including hers. Very funny, very clever but entirely inappropriate. She absolutely does not "get" him. In a lot of ways I actually feel sorry for her as he can run rings round her, just for fun.

She has given him harder books to read but insists he sits in on the jolly phonics, so he won't feel "left out." She also complains about his immaturity and lousy handwriting. As for the maths he has no accomodations whatsoever and has to take part in the "counting reliably to ten."

She was quite cross that he went to school reading and I get the feeeling that she is marking the days off until he goes up a year.

When he gets home from school I then have to work with him on the things that he really wants to do.

We bought a times table poster a few years ago and he uses it to check his answers when he does sums in his head. He hasnt learnt his tables, he likes to work it out in his head whilst doing something else, usually lego. All of his maths is done whilst doing something else, he just talks numbers while building incessantly with lego.

The same with reading, he actually learnt to read by asking how something was spelt and then repeating it to himself whilst doing something else at the same time.

Anyone else got a child like that?

We are East midlands/North but originate from London.

It sounds like he might be a kinesthetic learner. They learn best by moving while learning. If you've ever seen "Akeelah and the Bee," the movie about the girl who becomes a spelling bee champion, you have a good idea what kinesthestic learners might look like. Movement helps their brains to work better.

The other possibility that comes to mind is that he's just THAT smart, so he needs to be doing two things at once or he'd be bored.

Kriston
    Mewzard Offline OP
    OP Offline
    DS is like this to a degree, we seem to do alot of maths whilst walking somewhere (we walk alot!). He also repeats things to himself whilst walking round the rug in our living room.

DS has to do Jolly phonics even though hes' known all the sounds+actions for about a year. He has now memorised the order they are taught in...

We seem to be doing an hour+ of things DS wants to do after school. Which is alot considering he is having a full day at school too.

Does your school have a G&T coordinator? IF you get no joy with the teacher maybe you could chat to him/her? Thats my next step after his teacher.

oh mewsie
    I hope your visit goes well. Sad really how misplaced a child can be; still, witnessing the inanity in person gives a whole mother level of information- what is your child expected to do in the meantime?
    Please consider developing a relationship with a sitter for your twosie. You can barter if need be. In my book you are are saving money.

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    kinesthetic learner.

boy, do I need to look that one up!

Nah, it just means a person who learns best through movement, like a visual learner learns best through seeing and an auditory learner learns best through listening.

Not as hard as it sounds, I promise! wink

Wiggleworms can often be kinesthetic learners. The have to be moving to get it. That can make a traditional "sit down and listen" teaching style drive them batty.

Kriston
    Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM
    2e & long MAP testing
    by millersb02 - 05/10/24 07:34 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent