Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 315 guests, and 40 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    CFK -I didn't take it personally - my kid isn't even in school yet! Except i just realized my post omitted the very important concern you pointed out and thus the clarification of what was recommended to us.

That reminds me - Miraca Gross's book does specifically look at the education of several HG kids and might be a useful read for anyone looking at the variety of options, and which worked/didn't work for these kids. The latest edition is worth it for the updates on where these kids are now. Hopefully you can get it from a library - little pricey on amazon! nice resource.

http://www.amazon.com/Exceptionally-Gifted-Children-Miraca-Gross/dp/0415314917

Last edited by st pauli girl; 10/15/08 08:25 AM.
    A
    A
    Hi Squirt! You've brought me back to posting. You know I've been hiding in my lurking shell but I couldn't let your post go without chiming in.

I've told you this before but I must say it again: I am so very sorry about how the school is handling Pud. I hear your disappointment and frustration. Hugs are coming your way from me.

You've mentioned in the past some of your reservations about the University Model Schools in your area, and I have those same concerns too. But would that be an option for some of the more elective-type classes (art, music, etc.) and then you could do more substantive work at home? For instance, my main concern about our local UMS school is the way they teach science (strict creationism) but I may be willing to let DD go for a few other classes. Maybe just sending Pud for art or music or PE would give the two of you enough space during the week and provide him with some of the things your DH wants him to have. Those classes probably wouldn't start as early in the morning so you'd no longer have those battles at the crack of dawn. I know that you have probably thought about this, but it may have been back before your experience with the school this year. As you know, I'm one step closer to homeschooling every day, and it's funny how that changes my perspective about "options" that I may have dismissed last spring.

Kriston's comments about behavior improving sound right on, and I think you've seen that a bit too (fall break). Don't discount the improvements as mere coincidence; I'll bet it's related to school.

I feel your pain, sister-friend, and Pud's too. I hope the other school that you are visiting today can offer Pud something, or perhaps at least help you make up your mind that for right now, there's not a school situation that's going to give him what he needs.

Last edited by AmyEJ; 10/16/08 10:01 AM. Reason: I need spell check!
    Val Offline
    Originally Posted by squirt
    The math teacher told me to stop doing math with him at home after he told her that "0 - 5 = -5" is in the (0,5) math fact family. But I'm told that with only 30 minutes for each subject and no breaks between them, there's not much the teacher can do. Pud told me that history basically means the teacher reading the textbook to them. Gaack!

The principal told me that the teachers report that he dominates the class and "blurts out answers before the others have a chance to think". The homework is painful for me to watch - it's not that much but it takes him forever to do. He says it's because it is boring.

What do I ask them to do? They seem reluctant to do anything. Another girl in his class is bored and not challenged and will be leaving soon. He and she have become friends and we carpool. She'll go back to public school. Putting Pud back in public school presents all kinds of problems, including, but not limited to, the skip to third.

Argh! I'm so sorry.

Any "teacher" who tells you to hold your child back is displaying an incredible level of ignorance and callousness, not to mention that she seems to want to stunt his academic growth to make her life easier. Sorry, but with 4 kids in the class, they should all be getting individual attention (NOT differentiation).

You may want to write a letter to whoever's in charge (the director?) asking if holding children back from their potential is official policy, and if so, why? If your DS is "blurting out the answers" perhaps it's because he isn't challenged and is trying to keep occupied by seeing how quickly he can come up with the answer. You could always ask the director for ideas on fixing the problem.

If the school is so small, why do they seem to be going out of their way to drive students out?

Last year when my DS got a big homework sheet full of 5+7 type problems, I just did it for him. We agreed that he would do maths with me and I would take care of his maths homework. I decided that doing busy work was pointless and I didn't want him to waste his time. He was getting zero benefit from it anyway (unlike, say, when he has to clean his room or do the dishes).

Val

A
    A
    I forgot to mention something earlier, Squirt. I know that you don't want to go back to public school, but if you ever decide to go back, I found something that might be helpful.

Texas law states that options for gifted students "must include . . . opportunities to accelerate in areas of strength." This is in 19 Texas Administrative Code sec. 89.3. We're using it to ask for some changes for DD6. We'll see where it gets us.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM