Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 105 guests, and 31 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
    Yep that is me, smart.

Read Kriston's blurb and it pretty much has me pegged. I early admitted to K, skipped midyear from first to 2nd. I knew everyone, got along with everyone, perpetual volunteer.

Shari
    Mom to DS 10, DS 11, DS 13
    Ability doesn't make us, Choices do!
    T
    T
    That's a good question.
    I did good in school but I studied.
    I am not gifted nor is my husband.
    I do have a 1st cousin who sounds like he was just like my DS reading at 3 skipped 4 grades etc.
    So there is someone in the family like him but not his parents LOL

J
    J
    Yes. My 5th grade teacher pushed my parents to test me to see if I was gifted, and they didn't. I got "lost" in the system. I refuse to let that happen to either of my kids, but most especially DS.

B
    B
    Yes, I was. And I feel like I'm currently living a parallel life with my DD6. However, we've got some very good plans in place at the public school for DD. For me though, I went to private grade school and HS. Everyone knew of me as the smart kid. I never ever ever studied or was challenged in anything through the 12th grade. Even my AP Classes - I never studied for them. I felt like I didn't belong and never really had an identity.

Then I went off to a Big Ten school for Engineering and fell hard. My first few years there were extremely difficult -- I was that textbook GT kid who was never challenged and didn't know how to study. It took me until my senior year in College to figure it out.

Then, right after college, I moved to to the East coast for my job. The region we lived in felt the opposite of a "brain drain." It seems that all the smart people are there. I felt like I belonged, had mentors and knew where I was going. I didn't realize at the time it was because I was with my "intellectual peers." I thought it was just because we were all "mature adults."

Well I was wrong. I moved back to the Midwest a little over a year ago and it sucks. I hate it here. I had a job for a while and I felt like everyone I worked with were idiots. I found myself back in that same place as I felt in grade school and high school. I was miserable and and at the same time felt like a pompous jerk for having that attitude toward my coworkers.

For now, I quit my job and have decided to return to grad school.

Does the "problem" of being a gifted child ever end? smile

J
    J
    Becky, maybe I need to move back up north (I live in the southeast now)! I could've easily written the first two paragraphs you wrote!

B
    B
    yes, I was. I was incredibly shy and read all the time. My parents called me "the unawakened brain" (thanks a lot, folks)

But I don't think I've really processed my experience as a gifted child in a very rural area until my children came along and I have had such insights (!) finally (!) about myself.

Even though I realize MY experience is MY experience, I will do everything I can to ensure my children will not go through what I did.

We're moving to a metro area in April so they will have more opportunities!

Yes, I was laugh

A
    A
    I was/am. Now I am sixteen and have joined this forum to look at what parents and kids are doing and learn about advocacy. I want to make it my career in a few years.

H
    H
    Yes I was. In high school I knew how to "ace" a test without throwing off the almighty bell curve. I also knew how to "skip" without getting caught and avoid the "nerd" term. Yes I was smart and beat the whole system. I am determined to give my kids a better chance.

When I was in middle school we lived in Germany where they noticed me and my potential. I was hand selected to go on to advanced math and science. A move back to the states had the German school board calling my parents and sending several visitors to try and talk my parents into letting me stay. My parents refused for their own selfish reasons and hence the above paragraph about my high school experience in the states.

I do plan on not letting that happen to my kiddos. smile My DH's brilliance is under radar. He refuses to believe he is as gifted as he is. His spatial reasoning abilities blow me away. He was a C/D student throughout school until college where he decided to get A's.

L
    L
    I was but all it got me was the angst of my teachers who had to watch me throw it all away. Without the support of good parents it can take a long time for a kid to realize how lucky they are and take full advantage.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM