Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    1 members (1 invisible), 384 guests, and 21 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
    Originally Posted by Kriston
    Hey, how do you like the for-pay version of TA? We just have the freebie. Is it worth the extra money? It didn't seem like it to me, since my boys seem happy with the free "dungeon" level. But I have yet to hear from someone I know who has the for-pay version.

Whaddya think of it?

DS was hooked right after the first level so I knew it was a hit. If your son didn't seem interested, don't get the full version. There are three unique levels (Caveman, Robots, Dragons) and then after you finish them, you select which monsters you fight during the next times table. Our only real complaint is that the tables, IMO, aren't taught correctly. For example, when you learn the 5s they will give you the problem of 5 x 2 = 10, but they illustrate that by counting by 2s. The virtual manipulatives you pick up will shoot out 5 sets of 2 so you go 2, 4, 6, 8, 10. Then when you learn 5 x 3 you are counting 3, 6, 9, 12, 15. I would have rather that it be changed around so that if you are on the 5s, you are always counting by 5s. That makes much more sense to me. Show it as 2 x 5 (5, 10), and then 3 x 5 (5, 10, 15).

It does an excellent job of measuring knowledge and when you take the challenge test if you miss a question, it only makes you review that math fact. Usually that's because DS types it wrong...

The boys absolutely love the game though.

JB

Timez Attack looked cool, but the free version crashed my computer. Do you have any performance problems with the full version?

So if my kids do like the free version, you think the extra levels are worth the $40? Or should I save my money since they're already happy?

(Always looking to save a buck...) wink

Kriston
    Sorry Kriston I misread your original post. I thought that you were saying that your kids didn't like it.

Well, IMO, $40 was a steep price for it. The two other levels are pretty neat and there is a *wow* factor particularly with the robot level. DS sort of knew his times table already, but this is doing a pretty good job reinforcing the facts to the point where before playing he races up to his room to his times chart to "review" before the game. You can hear him shout all the way downstairs! "5! 10! 15!...."

For us it was worth it. I think it's better than a lot of the games out there that are all flash/action with no real focus on the learning part.

Cathy, no problems with the full version, but I didn't have any problem with the free version either. If you email tech support they do get back to you. (DS loved it so much I was asking for ALL operators!) PM if you want. I doubt I'll be much help, but I do know a thing or two about 'puters.

JB

Yes, Cathy, I had no trouble with the free version either. It sounds like you might need some tech support.

Thanks, JBD. I appreciate your BTDT advice! smile

Kriston
    JBDad, I think you're running into the multiplication conundrum. In Rightstart math for ex: 5x3 is translated to 5 taken 3 times ie 5, 10, 15 (5+5+5).

In Everyday math, 5x3 is 5 sets of 3, ie 3 taken 5 times or 3, 6, 9 ,12, 15, (3+3+3+3+3).

In Singapore math, 4x3 is represented as 4 groups of 3 rabbits ie 3 taken 4 times or 3,6,9, 12.

Whenever I bring this up, people say "but the commutative property!!" But in EM or RS for example, if they ask for an array to demonstrate 5x3, only one answer is given.

Last edited by Dazed&Confuzed; 10/10/08 12:34 PM.
    Yup. And since this game is focused on levels per number, I would think that it would be easier to learn the skip-counting technique for the current number. I didn't notice it until DW pointed it out to me.

The boys love it in any case. And conceptually DS5.5 knows what multiplication represents.

JB

It does seem like they ought to be consistent and have the skip counting be for the level the child is on. It seems like it would reinforce the point more effectively if doing 3x5 on the 3s level meant you counted by 3s, and doing 3x5 on the 5 level meant you counted by 5s.

Still, it's a minor quibble for what is overall a very good product, I think. smile (Especially for free!)

Kriston
    Exactly.

JB

Isa Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Has anybody tried the NintendoDS? I think there is a game for mathematics, but I am not certain.

DD has just learned at the school how to write the numbers and now she is eager to make sums in an exercise book. It usually takes her longer to write the answer than to get it but she looks so cute smile

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM