Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 312 guests, and 30 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
    Val Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Just found this article in tomorrow's Times. It's about poor math education --- for gifted students --- in the U.S. Wow!

You people will all be shocked to learn that a recent study has found that the United States is "failing to develop the math skills of both girls and boys, especially among those who could excel at the highest levels."

It's nice to see this issue in print!

V.

Isa Offline
    Very interesting article.
    I have the feeling that much of it could be applied to The Netherlands, at least I get this impression by looking at the math curriculum of the primary school. It is appallingly low....
    Same goes for science by the way.

Shocked........hee hee hee..........

Dr. Feng says that in China math is regarded as an essential skill that everyone should try to develop at some level. Parents in China, he said, view math as parents in the United States do baseball, hockey and soccer.

On the other hand, look at the stereotypical super competitive sport parent. I've seen great coaches quit only because they didn't want to deal with some crazy parent.

Imagine that filtering into the classroom environment.

Yuck.

Yes, they are going to psychotics no matter what field or endeavor. But I do feel there is a feeling that math is hard etc in this country. I've heard parents say "OH I was never any good in math either." this thought is filtered down to the kids. So they give up before they even get going. I think many parents would have no problem with paying money to have Johnny go to an expensive sports camp but wouldn't occur to them to hire a tutor to meet Johnny's math needs. It's just a different culture. Not that either is the best or to be emulated...

Last edited by Dazed&Confuzed; 10/10/08 06:48 AM.
    Right, I'm not a fan of either extreme. I do think US culture floats at one of those extremes.

Oh, I so agree, CFK! Well put!

Add to that the fact that most elementary school teachers have only the most basic math courses under their belts and consider themselves "bad" at math, it's not surprising that GT kids aren't getting what they need.

Shocked, indeed. :p

Kriston
    My upper level and grad math classes had GT-Math kids from Eastern European countries. They were identified when they were very young and were mathematically mature in their teens. They were 2-4 years younger than us and and they were very, very good. It took a lot of hard work by me and others to keep up with them.

They had tremendous breadth across all fields and its applications and knew numbers and transformations and tricks and key ideas most of us never had heard of. They also knew how to prep for tests. It was eye-opening.

They lived and breathed math and had been schooled by the best teachers, some Nobel-caliber, in their nations among a group of their mental peers in a competitive, socratic setting. They got an omnibus education on all the hard sciences from a mathy perspective.

The US has nothing like this at all.

I would think there would be value in an omnibus curriculum that is aimed at generating a Post-Doc level intellect in several fields with a mathy-focus.

The other thing - is how many parents would willingly move to be near a school like this?

Originally Posted by Austin
    The other thing - is how many parents would willingly move to be near a school like this?

I would! (DW doesn't want to move though...)

JB

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs