Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 106 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #27607 10/08/08 05:29 PM
    C
    cym Offline OP
    OP Offline
    C
    I'm excited because the head of one of the national talent search partners is coming to talk to our gifted association tomorrow. I've been trying to get parents to consider above-level testing as an opportunity for their kids but they always look at me as though I'm deranged. Our state was eliminated from awards last year because of poor participation, so I wanted to try to get us "back on the map". I worry a little bit about whether above level testing is appropriate for NG kids (vs. HG) and that I'm steering them wrong. Do you think NG kids also benefit from the talent search?

cym #27610 10/08/08 05:37 PM
    My kids are younger and no one here has done a talent search. I guess my initial thought(barring actual experience) would be yes.

If a kid is getting mostly A's and/or consistently scoring 98% on standardized tests of course you know they are proficient at grade level. Have these parents ever wondered how much their kids actually know, then, above that?

I know I'm preaching to the choir, but I definately would recommend out of level achievement testing of some sort for those kids.

I asked DD's second grade teacher: "Well what DOES she know? Does she already know what she is supposed to know for second grade(this was in the fall last year)? BTW, what does she have to know for second grade, you know, in order to be promoted to third at the end of the year?

All I got was a friendly shoulder shrug. So we did the WIAT, which is not exactly like the talent searches. But is sure was an eye-opener.

Wow, I did not know that the state can be "eliminated" from the awards gala due to poor participation wink Sad.

Cym, if you goal is to bring the awards back to the state, concentrate on one school. There is a school here in our state that consistently brings in the most participants. They call it a "district" but I know that it is really one school and one teacher that organizes the parents and students. The school is one of the wealthiest, if not the most, in the state. It is public.

Ania #27729 10/09/08 11:05 AM
    C
    cym Offline OP
    OP Offline
    C
    Good! I'm glad at least we think it's worthwhile to take the above-level tests regardless of giftedness level. I think (way-back-when) I actually had to convince myself that it was something to pursue. It was the #1 recommendation made by the head of the Gifted Dept when I asked how I could enrich my son's middle schooling (they did not have gifted program or even differentiated curriculum at that point). She told me about taking EXPLORE, ACT/SAT. I think I read about it in Genius Denied at that same time. So I understand parents who think--"why would we take college entrance exams at age 12?" Hopefully this speaker will help encourage participation.

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent