Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 351 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    Grinity #1413 12/07/06 01:04 PM
    If it helps anyone....
    My daughter's school has been doing this for only two weeks now. They have five participating students. Of course they need supervision, mostly with computer glitches (they are all 4th graders, I am thinking there is a reason why Aleks tutorials begin at the level of grade 3 :-). So the school approached the parents of those five kids asking if they would be willing to help out. Three of us could, so on those three days it is parents supervising the computer lab. It frees the teacher and her aide, this way they are more willing to do this extra accomodation. And we can help too, with our little ideas. For example, when some of them were measuring angles using an online protractor, I grabbed a plastic one and had them practice on paper as well.
    Ania

Ania #1417 12/07/06 02:21 PM
    Go Ania! I'm glad your school is willing to be so flexible!
    T

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    #2625 05/15/07 01:59 PM
    Hi Adios,
    Welcome!
    Trinty

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Galaxy Girl #2766 06/15/07 07:14 AM
    E
    E
    A quick question to the community.

My son has been doing ALEKS for about two months now, and he is finishing level6. We would like to try EPGY. But

a) it is very expensive
    b) it says that he needs to start in his current grade (grade 3).

is there a way for him to take a test so that he can do epgy at the right level for him? he is truly close to grade 6 or grade 7 math at this point, and the idea that we would be paying nearly 500 dollars for him to take grade 3 classes and work is a bit difficult to process.

any ideas or suggestions?

thank you,

E

ekirjner #2767 06/16/07 11:17 AM
    L
    L
    We use EPGY and my son just finished 3rg grade. I was worried about the same thing. It took a month for my son to finish the third grade work and just over 2 for the 4th grade. He slowed down at 5th grade. While the third grade was easy for him I am glad they had him do it. The work was a lot more in depth then he was used to and it gave him practice with in problem solving he wasn't used to.

Since the program is adaptive, meaning that the program will give more problems when the child is having difficulty and less when a subject is done well it was not boring. He loved it when he got something he know and after 4 problems it changed subjects. He would get excited and point out that he already knew that. Then the concept would not return. It was done.

That being said, I have talked to parents who have had EPGY adjusted to the child's level. They spoke directly with EPGY or directly with their tutor and it was adjusted. We had the tutor stop the timed math facts that would pop up before each section since my son already was quick with them it just became an exercise in typing instead of math. There was no problem getting that removed.

I am very satisfied with EPGY.

LK

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM