Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    1 members (1 invisible), 384 guests, and 21 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
    Cathy A Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I think DD is happy where she is, socially. Academically, she is not as driven as DS and she is happy to do lots of reading at home.

DS does not seem to be clicking with any of the kids at his school. He just doesn't fit. He has never known anything different, though, and seems to accept the situation for now.

Neither of the kids knows about me shopping around. DS would probably be excited about trying this new school. DD would not. I don't know how I would manage having them in two different schools...

I might be able to talk the GT school into an arrangement where I could teach math there in exchange for part of our tuition. But then I think that if I were going to do the teaching, I could just homeschool my own kids and they would get even more benefit than they would with a student:teacher ratio of 12:1 without all the driving around. So I don't know. I'll have to think about it. My first impression is that I didn't fall in love with the place enough to make a heroic effort.

Cathy A Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Originally Posted by Dottie
    I work at a school like that, albeit not for gifted kids. It's a great school...and has many of the above benefits, but I get to see first hand the cons as well as the pros.

The loosely organized, experiential learning format is new to me. What are some of the cons you have seen at your school?

Cathy A Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Thank you, Dottie.

I think I got all the pros during my tour smile The lady who showed me around was very helpful and seemed to really understand HG+ kids.

The kids who were there all seemed engaged and had peers they were working with. Except one kid, who may have just been having a bad day...

H
    H
    We were in a very similar situation with our school choice. We had met with the principal of the local public school and walked away feeling that they would not really meet our son's needs. I went to an open house at a private gifted school, and walked out feeling like we had to do whatever we could to have him go there. It is kind of out of our financial league as well, but we are trying to make it work. He started Kindergarten in September, and is thriving. We are absolutely gaga over his teachers and the school.
    Everyone's situation (and child) is different, but for us, it was the right choice. While the "cons" pointed out earlier are real, there are "pros" that are just as real...

You know I'm really, really surprised and disappointed that there aren't more gifted private (or charter) schools in our area. It's frustrating really. The only truly GT school is 1.5 hours away from us...

Cathy, I sympathize. This last week has had us looking at alternative schools to check out our options. Average cost was $15k which is probably not feasible for us either unless I switched jobs. And then I wonder if they're not catering to GT kids then that's a really big risk to take for a situation that may not be any better.

JB

Cathy, at least you know what the school is like. It's good to have a knowledge about available options. Do they offer any weekend or afterschool program? That may be all your children need and it may be a nice balance between ps and gt school. DS6 is homeschooled but he attends weekend gt program and goes to alternative (non gt) school 2 afternoons/week.

LMom
    Cathy A Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Yes, it is good to know what options we have. They don't offer weekend or afterschool courses, though. This is only the second year of operation for this school, so I am also a little concerned about whether it will stay afloat financially.

I would hate to get the kids all settled there only to have to move them back to ps the next year having lost their spots. Around here, the public schools are overcrowded. Priority for your neighborhood school is assigned by enrollment date. If we leave and come back the kids would be overloaded to other (lousier) public schools.

Still, if things get really bad at the ps, it's nice to have alternatives.

We toured a school nearby for gifted children. It really seemed very cool in a lot of ways, but about $20k/year. Plus they organize a school ski trip in the winter, and Im sure have other costly events. I figured if we really really stretched, got some aid, etc., we could swing it. Lots of sacrifices but ds8 would probably really like it.
    But, I also saw that it had a parking lot full of $50k/cars. I know this probably sounds lame, but I thought, there is no way we as a family are going to fit in at this place, unless I work 4 jobs! hope that doesnt sound class-ist.
    Lastly, ds is very artistic, and really they didnt offer much more than the regular schools in this arena, so in the end I decided not to feel too guilty about not doing it.

Originally Posted by gratified3
    JB -- I hope your looking doesn't mean that things aren't going well. Last I heard, I thought school had started well. Was this a pre-emptive search or are you really looking for changes?

I'll post in a new thread later today when I get a few spare minutes. It's been a big mixed bag.

JB

D
    D
    I just returned from my first two hour round trip school commute for the day.

I never imagined our son would attend the �rich� school where he began this fall. Because it is so far away, I haven�t attended any of the Mother�s Club events yet, but my husband and I did chaperone the junior high dance recently and met a few other parents. I found the parents and teachers to be extremely genuine and the kids (boys from the school and many girls from the community and other private schools) were respectful, courteous, self assured and did not strike me as overly materialistic.

Just as I never looked down on families (that I knew of) who received financial assistance at our last, more moderately priced school, I assume any one worth their salt is not going to snub our family if they learn we receive financial aid at this 15K+ school. In my opinion, the most pretentious and materialistic individuals are often more �posers� than truly the �haves� anyway. The reality is that just the gas to get him there, in combination with my lost work day availability for my part time career, is quite a financial sacrifice for us. (I wish I could get comp time as my work responsibilities have not decreased.)

So far, this private school is well worth the effort and sacrifice. Most of the teachers treat the students with what I can best describe as �professional courtesy� and mutual respect even when addressing negative situations. The teachers and administrators don�t have to be autocrats in order to establish they are in charge. This grown-up treatment, in addition to the very high academic intensity for most classes and his high ability classmates make this school the absolute best environment for ds to spend his days. Also, he loves it.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM