Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    1 members (1 invisible), 384 guests, and 21 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    S
    Steph Offline OP
    OP Offline
    S
    International Baccalaurate (sp?) There is an elementary school very near to us that offers it, as well as a middle school & high school here. My oldest was invited to attend the HS program but elected to stay w/her buds & choral program at her designated school. I know just enough from the presentation that we attended but don't know anyone that's actually participating.

I'm looking at options for my youngest and wasn't sure if this was a good option. I don't really want to pull him from his elem as he loves it there & I'm very happy with his teachers. I do wonder when he gets a grade or two older how they will challenge him above the curriculum once he starts aging up. So if you're involved in it, pros/cons, would you put your child in it again? Are certain personalities, interests better suited to the experience?

Hi, I have been meaning to respond to this for *days* sorry I kept getting distracted just as I am about to do so!
    We did consider an elementary IB program nearby. It was at the public school and it sounded like it might offer more challenge, but very few specifics were offered to parents to help decide.
    One point that sounded good was foreign language, but then I found out that there wasn't any budget for the next couple of years at least for the foreign language.
    Other parents I'd spoken with mentioned lots of group work, project oriented assignments which are supposed to support the sort of work one typically does in the real world. One parent mentioned feeling there was a lot more homework. I wasn't sure that was a good fit for my ds.
    DS was accepted, but in the end we stuck with the school he was attending, rather than disrupt his routine for the prospects of a slightly longer bus ride, no near hope of foreign language class, and a very vague idea that there would be more challenge for all students.
    That's our story anyway. I would be curious to hear from anyone else if they've had very good experience with GT children in IB programs.

K
    K
    I've got ya beat, Chris. I've actually responded twice, but I forgot that to actually post to this site, I have to temporarily turn off my firewall.

Anyway, I know a young man who just graduated from an IB program in June. He attended a middle years IB program and a high school one. I don't think they offer elementary here yet. It was a lot of projects, which was right up his alley. He seems to think that colleges love IB programs (although, you might not be thinking that far ahead), and he ended up with a full scholarship to a state school. He is gifted.

Another girl I know (but not as well) graduated from an IB program. She had so much college credit, she finished college in 3 years. She had a harder time because, while gifted, she is more math-oriented than verbal-oriented. She did not attend the middle years program.

W
    W
    Thanks for the info, and thanks for posting this. I have been trying to find out about IB programs as well. Does anyone have any negative info. on them? I've not heard anything negative yet.

C
    C
    The only negative I could possibly say is that some high school students can have a hard time keeping up with all the homework and still having a life. Many of my middle school students go on to a local IB program. It has an excellent reputation and is filled with many gifted and very high achieving students. Some fare better than others. Our babysitter graduated from the program with a 4.0+ average, was captain of the football team and had a great time in high school. He is PG and his mom is my "mentor" for dealing with my own DS. His experience is not really the norm though and most of his IB friends did not play sports or have extracurricular activities outside IB.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM