Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 216 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    StarMan Offline OP
    OP Offline
    My son is highly+ gifted. We were homeschooling for 1/2 of last year when we pulled him out of a really bad first grade classroom mid-year.

Homeschooling was okay. He liked being able to do his own thing, but he is really social and loves his peers (same age and intellectual, even if his same age peers don't return the love).

We've just moved to Portland, OR and not really knowing anyone, my son wanted to go to school. We have a pretty good local school--and there are other gifted kids in his class.

He will go through the TAG evaluation soon, and the principal has already mentioned TAG to me as well.

But what else can I do? I'm so nervous. He seems to like school. His teacher seems a little hung up on the whole socialization thing, but his behavior around his peers has far more to do with over-exciteabilities (sp?) then homeschooling. He gets really, really excited around other kids sometimes. But how I can I see if he 'gets' gifted kids, and how can I spare him from 'worksheet hell'?

Thank you for reading and thank you for your help!

--Starman

There's a star man waiting in the sky he'd like to come meet us but he's sure he'll blow our minds
    StarMan Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Thank you for your reply. It helps to hear your experience. So far so good. His teacher says some dumb things to him (like he has to wait for another year to be on the intermediate chess team, and he has to be in the beginner level. When I have already spoken with the principal who has said he can be on the intermediate level, and that he has been playing chess for over two years, etc.), but otherwise seems to be a good teacher.

I do agree that the exposure to other kids is really good, and he gets along with *everyone.*

I guess you are right, and I'll just try to sit on my hands and volunteer when I can, etc.

His last school experience was *so* bad, that I am just happy to see him having great days. I just hope it keeps up. smile

There's a star man waiting in the sky he'd like to come meet us but he's sure he'll blow our minds
    acs Offline
    I know this a really hard to do with a bad experience under your belt, but I would also suggest being upbeat about whatever stuff he brings home even if you think it is the lamest thing you have ever seen. I've said my share of noncommital comments like: "Well, let's see now. Pretty interesting. I'll be interested to see how that turns out" when thinking something far harsher! Especially since you son is having a good time, there is no reason to let your anxiety taint if for him.

StarMan Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Originally Posted by acs
    I know this a really hard to do with a bad experience under your belt, but I would also suggest being upbeat about whatever stuff he brings home even if you think it is the lamest thing you have ever seen. I've said my share of noncommital comments like: "Well, let's see now. Pretty interesting. I'll be interested to see how that turns out" when thinking something far harsher! Especially since you son is having a good time, there is no reason to let your anxiety taint if for him.

I'm going to write those things on my hand or a cheat sheet. Because you are right, it isn't fair to taint his experience. I'm not really good at having a 'poker face' and react dramatically sometimes...

Okay, I'll practice being positive or neutral at best in front of him. Thank you for your advice!

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by indigo - 04/30/24 12:27 AM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Testing with accommodations