Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 203 guests, and 15 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    B
    Babs Offline OP
    OP Offline
    B
    Hi,

First time poster here. My 13yr old is in 8th grade and has had issues since he was 4. He is 2E and has had two evals, one when he was 7 and the other this year. First eval says he had ADHD, ODD and anxiety. The most recent says GAD and obsessive thinking. ON the WISC3, he scored 132FSIQ, this time around on WISC4 he scored 125FSIQ due to the very low scores on processing speed and working memory which his therapist believes is a large discrepancy worth looking into. The VC score was 138, PR 125, WM107 PS 97. VC breakdown is 15,19,15 PR is 12,14,16,WM is 11 and 12 and processing speed is 8 and 11. Since he is older than most here and we feel he is learning disabled due to the GAD and processing speed and some other unknown cause which could be auditory or sensory, we wondered what services we should be asking for and what tests we should be looking at to get needed services?. He has trouble with writing and he is very slow at mundane tasks. He wears glasses due to poor vision 20/200, but we believe he has issues with processing information and dont know where to start. Also, I am trying to calculate GAI for the WISC4 and cant since my math skills stink (math ability doesnt come from my side of family!LOL) Can anyone help me with this?. I have a meeting with the school, county and teachers at my sons middle school and need this information to help me get some services for my son if possible.

Thanks in advance,
    Babs

To get the GAI add up VCI subtests + PRI subtests => 15+19+15+12+14+16 = 91

Look up in the table in WISC-IV Technical Report #4 on page 5.

A General Ability Sum of Scaled Scores of 91 corresponds to a GAI of 138.

Originally Posted by Dottie
    Darn, I knew I was spending too much time on the words....ROFL! Speed bonuses go to Cathy, wink . Thanks for sharing the "how to" with a link!

I beat Dottie!!! cool

Well, then I edited...

B
    Babs Offline OP
    OP Offline
    B
    Hi Dottie,

THe evaluation was done by a Phd psychologist here in GA. WHat does the GAI really mean vs the FSIQ? I am fairly new to this process. The schools position so far is that since he is not failing and is maxed out in gifted services, he does not qualify for a 504 or special education. BB

Hi, Babs--

What is GAD?

B
    Babs Offline OP
    OP Offline
    B
    Hi,

GAD is Generalized Anxiety Disorder. It is usually coupled with OCD or obsessive thinking, bi-polar etc. Sometimes it can be caused by a disability and it is usually not singular in nature. Sometimes it can even be seasonal. Many gifted children have emotional and behavioral disorders which are frequently exacerbated by giftedness and can be disabling. What is RTI? I am feeling dumb here and need acronym clarifications... Really....! BB

Thanks!

RTI = Response to Intervention. I think smile

B
    Babs Offline OP
    OP Offline
    B
    Hi,

I have a meeting scheduled onthe 14th oct to discuss options which include a 504, or special education services. I want to have substantiating information to support that my son needs concessions under the category emotional and behavioral disoders. Due to multiple diagnosis ranging from ADHD and ODD when he was 7 to anxiety and OCD as a 13 year old, we are not totally sure what to ask for in the way of services. We think he has some LD in addition to the anxiety and we are not sure how to get support on this. I was working on the GAI worksheet last night.There is a 13 point discrepancy between GAI and FSIQ. I am having trouble deciphering on the interpretation of what the discrepancy means. Based on the score discrepancies the Asbergers autism spectrum pops out the most as a possible LD in this case. Am I reading this correctly on the Wisc 1V dscrepancy graph? BB

I'm no expert, but I didn't know you could see/diagnose stuff like autism spectrum disorders from the WISC. That doesn't seem right to me. It doesn't seem like there's enough to go on from the WISC. Am I just betraying my ignorance?

Even if you can see such things in the WISC, a 13-point spread between GAI and FSIQ wouldn't seem to me to be big enough to make that judgement.

Am I way off base here?

Kriston
    B
    Babs Offline OP
    OP Offline
    B
    Hi Kriston,

The WISC1V technical report which is an overview of the GAI doesnt diagnose anything but does show what other cumulative percentages of various Special Groups are getting as median discrepancies and how your own numbers fit in within the categories they list. I am trying to take the GAI/FSIQ discrepancy and analyze it based on their own equation. I am having a hard time with the numbers right now since it is mathematical and I suck at math! BB

A
    A
    I'd start with your goals in mind. If your son is generally happy with school, socially, it should be no problem helping with academic supports, either formally with an i.e.p (special ed requirement in NJ) or informally. That may mean giving him extra time for testing. Ask the school psychologist what he/she thinks the scores mean. Processing speed may be slowed down due to memory problem. Memory is not a hard one to fix.

E
    E
    Ambi, how do you suggest fixing short term memory issues? I find that to be very difficult with my 9 year old smile

Last edited by elh0706; 10/07/08 09:49 AM.
    Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by indigo - 04/30/24 12:27 AM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM